Navajo Nation

'Mike & Molly' Joke

IS RACIST!!!

3/3/2013 6:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

030113_mikeandmindy_launchThe Navajo Nation is LIVID after a joke aired on "Mike & Molly" ... calling Native Americans a bunch of drunks ... and now the group is demanding an apology from CBS.

In case you missed it, Mike's mother on the show -- an Archie Bunker type -- says, "You ever been to Arizona? It's just furnace full of drunk Indians."

The joke isn't sitting well in the Native American community. A rep for the Navajo Nation tells TMZ,  "For a show like this displaying us in a negative light is just unacceptable, they are taking a shot at the entire state of Arizona and its indigenous people."

The rep says, "An apology would be the right thing to do, but some damage done can't be fixed in an apology."

Calls to CBS weren't returned.

Steven318

Racist and for some of you to defend it shame on you

NOT ELMO

Me would rather nail your sexy cousin Jenny McCarthy....

tenley

Next they'll be angry about a joke about going to the reservation for cheap cigarettes or to gamble.

Duh

Where I live, there are a lot of reservations in the state. A lot of natives live in the city too. I work in the city and use public transportation. I have never seen a native downtown or on public transit who wasn't completely fall-down-antagonizing-belligerent-messed up-wasted-drunk. I saw a native woman try to punch a man on on the bus when he wouldn't give her a beer they she spotted in his grocery bag. She was too drunk to connect and fell down. We all waited 20 minutes for the police to come and cart her off. That's just one incident of many. It's kind of hard to cry foul when the every day experience matches the stereotype. If that is my experience, it's what I expect. I would be labeled insane if I saw the same thing every day and expect a different outcome. That doesn't make me racist. If I met a Native who didn't exhibit this behavior, I would not judge him or her. I just haven't met them yet.

Jody

The truth is alcoholism is rampant on indian reservations. Most reservations are dry, so these indians go outside the reservation to bring in booze. Vast unemployment is also a problems, so the indians just sit around all day and drink.

I wouldn't apologize for something that is the truth.

Duh

Thanks Jody, I was going to add that fact. The reservations do not allow alcohol, so what I'm seeing are people who can't live without booze, hence the behavior.

J

Hey TMZ that guy in your picture is not Navajo by birth. He is Italian. Could give a s**t less about the comment. The race card has been played for so long. How much do these trolls make to police every thing white prople say.

just sayin

So dumb.. the person saying it was portraying a hate filled crank. It wasn't glorified bigotry. People are too sensitive.

Quinn

I liked that you guys whipped up the "crying Indian". thank you for that.

Cheryl A.

Get over yourselves, American Indians. My husband is half Blackfoot Indian and he laughed at the joke. Mike and Molly is a funny show.

SLH

Why are people so sensitive anymore, nobody can take a joke, everyone is 'offended' and thinks everything is 'unacceptable'... put on your big boy moccasins

Brickz

oh give me a break haha

Ca2Az

Ha Ha. Truth hurts.

nature30

Damn if they disrespected black ppl this would not have made the post just saying

1234chey

I'm native american, and I think we are getting to thin skined and some people are just out for publicity.