Carly Rae Jepsen

Cancels Boy Scouts Concert

They're Too Homophobic for Me

3/5/2013 10:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0305_carly_rae_jepsen_boy_scouts_article_gettyCarly Rae Jepsen has officially pulled out of a HUGE concert for the Boy Scouts of America ...  claiming she wants no part of an organization that doesn't support gay rights.

The "Call Me Maybe" singer had been booked to perform at the National Scout Jamboree in Mount Hope, West Virginia in July, along with the band Train.

But moments ago, Jepsen tweeted that she's yanked herself from the festival ... squarely because of the group's ban on openly gay scouts and scout leaders.

"As an artist who believes in equality for all people, I will not be participating in the Boy Scouts of America Jamboree this summer," Jepsen said.

She continued, "I always have and will continue to support the LGBT community on a global level ... and stay informed on the ever changing landscape in the ongoing battle for gay rights in this country and across the globe."

FYI -- Train has also backed out of the show ... but says they will be happy to re-join the show IF the Boy Scouts reverse their anti-gay policy.

They're still waiting ...

0920_gay_pride_footer

Connierice

They burned me and removed my reply and it was in slight moderation of this scandal. Did I catch your eyes you thriving jewel thief. I said the article was in supreme bigotry. Mad bias in the reasoning theory, the many of the replies do not even mention this is her theory. It is Her choice and your open discussion to replay the sad story of your hated feelings towards their as but not one of you replies with a dignity of their air. To refuse is many stars a slight budge off the insanity "they're too homophobic for me" are these her actual wording and f so show me the evidence and doubly so after that give the reason why you feel the need to quote her for a page turner and you are thrives and silent in your as adhering to your own Demise!

John

Odd, the scoutmaster who raped me when I was 12 wasn't homophobic.

Jolene

I applaud this young woman and Train for having the courage to stand up to an organization that needs to learn tolerance. They may have a wonderful mission, but practicing intolerance is never a good thing.

ladidaaa

Sexual preference has no place in the Boyscouts. I don't understand why anyone needs to disclose their sexual preference. Do you know what the Boyscouts are about? Sexual preference doesn't belong ANYWHERE in the BSA. You're gay... Big deal... Why do you feel the need to run around announcing it? Whomever you choose to do PRIVATE things with is your PRIVATE business. If you're happy in your PERSONAL life them be happy in it. You don't hear straight people running around telling everyone that they're straight. Boyscouts are ages 7-17. They shouldn't have a sexual preference, they are CHILDREN and that is not the place to disclose it if they do.

ladidaaa

Christianity has ALOT to do with the Boyscouts. Gays are entitled to their beluga the same way that Christians and the BSA are entitled to theirs. Trying to FORCE them to CHANGE their beliefs is just as unfair of straight people to try to force gay people to change theirs. But like I said, either way it goes, sexual preference has NO the BCA period!

ladidaaa

Beliefs*

ladidaaa

I don't see them saying hateful comments about gays, they are just sticking to their beliefs, which they should be allowed to do.

gene murray

Why did she commit in the 1st place? She knew the scouts position beforehand as it hasn't changed in years.

gene murray

why did she commit in the 1st palce seeing that the bsa have had the same policy for years. I f she feels that strongly she should have turned them down when the offer was made.

scottsphoto2

This is Good for the BoyScouts! Who is this freak anyway? Oh, she must be another gay loving,one night wonder,trying to further corrupt this great God fearing Nation!(or should I say,it used to be before Hollywood and ***s got into our youths heads!) I just wish all ***s would leave or go back into their little closets!!!!!!!!!!! Leave our normal,healthy minded children alone!!!!!!!!

scottsphoto2

Barry

It is her right to cancel her performance. It is the Boy Scout's Right to pick the people they want to lead the children. I don't care if a person is gay or not....but...Gay boys like other boys....sexually. I wonder if you would have a problem with a male with raging hormones being the leader of you little girl scout troop.

John Q Public

Good riddens to Jepsen. Who needs her anyway with her rationalization of what is acceptable and what will never, ever be truly acceptable. Just because a majority of people rationalize what their doing to be acceptable so they can live with their actions does not make what they are doing right or in reality, acceptable.

Dan

That's good news for the scouts. When people get back to the values God gives us, our country will again be blessed. The bible says so. We're to hate the sin (not say it's ok) but love the sinner. All have sinned and homosexuality is just one sin people need to deal with God for. Fighting for equality of sinful behavior is wrong.

Truth and Reality

I am in love with my dog and I think we should have the right to marry. Even though its not the natural way of life. Even though hereditary science, biology, genetics and natural science say only a man and woman are born to be with each other I thlink we should be allowed to do what we want. We love each other and should be allowed the same rights as everyone else. Even though its nasty and against the genetic predispositions we were born with. Now doesn't that just sound stupid. Just take the word dog out and put in anything else and you have the same argument. The only relationship that is scientifically correct is men and women. Anything else is a preference and not a natural born right. Therefore not a civil right as laid out in our constitution.