Nine Inch Nails Drummer

'Call Me Maybe' Mash-Up

Is an INSULT to Our Music

3/10/2013 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0308-chris-vrenna-carly-rae-jepsen-nin
Former Nine Inch Nails drummer Chris Vrenna is seriously pissed off over a new mash-up taking the Internet by storm (which mixes NIN's "Head Like a Hole" with "Call Me Maybe") ... because he thinks it's a total piece of crap.

The mash-up, "Call Me a Hole", went viral this week -- blending Carly Rae Jepsen's 2012 pop hit with the 1990 tune. It's been listened to more than one million times already and was hailed by the L.A. Times as "genius."

But not everyone is a fan. Chris -- who played with the band from 1989 to 1997 -- tells TMZ ...  "Honestly I find the whole thing silly and partly offensive ... I find it kind of insulting."

He explains, "It has trivialized something we've done. I am proud of what we've done and to take art -- just to be a joke -- I don't have any respect for it."

Chris makes it clear though ... he's not trashing Carly Rae or her music -- it was a third party who created the combo -- but believes the sound created by NIN shouldn't be messed with.

He adds, "In 48 hours no one will even know it existed."

BB not bb

Carly Rae--the boy scouts must allow gays to oversee young boys and be their role modesl and take them camping alone in the woods with them

Trent Reznor-- God money's not looking for the cure.
God money's not concerned about the sick among the pure.
God money let's go dancing on the backs of the bruised.
God money's not one to choose

Mrugowsky

Her song is just awful and any serious artist would be insulted by an unintended collaboration.

Maizy1985

Hahahaha what a tool. WHO cares?

Elle

The mash-up was horrible. It's like mashing up Rage Against The Machine with Britney Spears music - just won't work.

ben

i love how this guy hasn't been in the band since 1997 and has an opinion. there's a reason he's a former member. go back to playing keyboard for marilyn manson buddy.

Doc

sucks

Cricket

I didn't like it.

BellaJ

I like Rapture Riders the mash up of The Doors and Blondie!

Whatever

I agree with him. Besides, that Call Me Maybe is pop trash and stupid as f#uck

theblackdevilace

Hmm I may be wrong but I believe Vrenna was only in the video after Head like a Hole came out I think the mashup is fun and this aging rock d bag drummer needs to lighten up. For the record it was a fan suggestion to begin with. Nobody is making any money off it so what's the big deal?

J4X

Trent Reznor is known for remixing the sounds he has created. After the "Broken" album came out, Reznor remixed every track on the album and released it calling it "Fixed." That doesn't change the fact that "Call Me a Hole" is fvcking garbage. That sh!t IS offensive and I agree with Chris Vrenna 100% on that but Vrenna was only a sessions/touring member of NIN. Trent Reznor is NIN and has always "messed" with the sound NIN/he created.

theblackdevilace

This aging rock drummer d bag needs to lighten up he wasn't even involved in producing Head like a Hole! Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he wa s just in the video. It was a fan suggestion to begin with. All in good fun and there's no money involved. I don't like CRJ but it's a catchy song so of course this remix is popular duh!! I think I'll go listen to some of Tweaker's tunes..oh wait..who? Lol

Truth

OH F*CK... THE MASH-UP SUCKS BALLS. JUST TOTALLY GAYS UP NIN ORIGINAL ROCK CLASSIC. ORIGINAL IS WAAAY BETTER AS IS THE VIDEO. THE MASH-UP IS SOMEONE LIKE JUSTINE BIEBER WOULD LISTEN TO WITH HER BALLS CUT OFF, POINT BLANK. THE FEMME HARMONY IS INSULTING. SORT OF LIKE BIEBER CLAIMING TO BE INJURED YET DOES A PLAYGIRL SPREAD ON A HOSPITAL COT. TOTALLY GAAAY!! #TRUTH!!

theblackdevilace

Does anyone remember the viral Eazy E vs Johnny Cash-Folsom Prison Gangstaz mashup from a few years ago? Look it up on Youtube it's hilarious.
Same deal, hugely popular and sacrilege, but still
played on Opie and Anthony show etc.

chubbs McBuff