Nine Inch Nails Drummer

'Call Me Maybe' Mash-Up

Is an INSULT to Our Music

3/10/2013 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0308-chris-vrenna-carly-rae-jepsen-nin
Former Nine Inch Nails drummer Chris Vrenna is seriously pissed off over a new mash-up taking the Internet by storm (which mixes NIN's "Head Like a Hole" with "Call Me Maybe") ... because he thinks it's a total piece of crap.

The mash-up, "Call Me a Hole", went viral this week -- blending Carly Rae Jepsen's 2012 pop hit with the 1990 tune. It's been listened to more than one million times already and was hailed by the L.A. Times as "genius."

But not everyone is a fan. Chris -- who played with the band from 1989 to 1997 -- tells TMZ ...  "Honestly I find the whole thing silly and partly offensive ... I find it kind of insulting."

He explains, "It has trivialized something we've done. I am proud of what we've done and to take art -- just to be a joke -- I don't have any respect for it."

Chris makes it clear though ... he's not trashing Carly Rae or her music -- it was a third party who created the combo -- but believes the sound created by NIN shouldn't be messed with.

He adds, "In 48 hours no one will even know it existed."

Kiloshi

NIN owes me my HD footage I shot in Portland, OR. Those F'UPs stole and gave out my 3 cam footage and I got nothing in return. Suck It NIN!!!!!!!!

rudynjudyjudy

It`s a blatin walkOVER I don`t hear much mash mortly likey remix badly .IT SUCKS compuetia age smity smit.SOME is GREAT but this sucks nince nails ripped some also

Jessica

wow this song is total crap!!!

West Vasquez

Damn, that mix sucks hard....

CriticXtreme

Dude, we live in a society where the average listener has the memory of a Nat. You need to respect the fact that someone out there still sees NIN as being still relevant.

msburton24

I mean, this is clever and creative, but I get a rocker not wanting his music to be mashed up with some cutesy pop artist

NOT ELMO

Carly Rae Jepsen is Sexy, Pretty...

StefanAG

Your music!?! You have to be ****ing kidding me.

That jackass Reznor lifted most of your riffs and a couple songs note for note from Skinny Puppy.

Get over yourself.

StefanAG

Your music!?! You have to be ****ing kidding me.

Get over yourself.

Buddy The Elf

It wasnt actually that bad.

Papichulo168

Yep. 48 hours.

Deanna Garneau

OMG, that mash up is just TERRIBLE. Not even LOL'ing here. :-( :-/

dusty

what?
you worried you might have to crawl back out of the hole that you ended up in once everyone forgot your crappy band ?

Kuromi667

The combo of the two songs together sounds horrible! But since Trent got married a few years back maybe it would be a good lullaby for a toddler.

CheriShortCake