RZ Zildjian

Cymbal Honcho Dies at 89

3/28/2013 2:02 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0328_robert_zildjian_01

Robert 'RZ' Zildjian -- the guy who founded the Sabian cymbal company -- died today at the age of 89 ... TMZ has learned.

Zildjian was a titan in the music world -- and was credited with re-inventing the cymbal industry after leaving the business started by his family, the Zildjian cymbal company.

According to reports, Zildjian singlehandedly grew Sabian into the 2nd largest cymbal company in the world ... only placing behind his family's business, which he helped run for years.

Basically, if you've ever played the drums ... or know someone who has ... or have ever seen a live band perform ... there's a damn good chance you've heard Robert's work.

R.I.P.

Th33DJay

Press The Eject and Give Me The Tape ~ BAUHAUS

WiddoMouse

He was a handsome old gentleman.

RIP

T-Money

Rip, my cymbals make my drum kit and I will always remember where they came from and who helped design them. He was a badass in my world.

PatinNJ

What are we going to do now?

D Barber

This guy was amazing. My band and I were welcomed into the Sabian plant (in Meductic , New Brunswick, Canada) a couple years ago for a one on one tour. and even got a glimpse into the treasure trove of cymbals. He and his family were a great example of how a company should be ran , and represented. This man, along with his wife, hosted a family picnic every year and personally knew his employees. Everyone always boasted about how important he made them feel by hanging out with them, where they were.

Meductic , and the world has lost there musical hero! RIP!

cali323

Wow. Didn't know he is Armenian ..R.I.P.

lakings1

bummer, i use his cymbals every day... R.I.P

McSmack

Just like every guitar player has a Les Paul and/or a Fender Stratocaster, every drummer has played cymbals made by the Zildjians. The condolences from the Musicians alone is going to fill the Zildjian's family house for sure.

Dougalmac

What morons! If you didn't already know about the magnitude of Robert Zildjians contributions to the music industry through Sabian, you're pretty much clueless to begin with. Lame reporting at best.

Mandy

RIP

Dave Hurst

What a legacy to leave behind in the world of drummers, I will always be beholding to R.Z every time I perform. R.I.P.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2