India.Arie

I Didn't Mean

To Look Light-Skinned

3/29/2013 10:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0329-india-arie-5
Afro-centric singer India.Arie -- famous for singing about her "Brown Skin" -- is now making excuses for the extremely light-skinned photo on the cover of her new single ... telling friends, her skin was NOT intentionally whitewashed.

There's been a lot of commotion about the new photo -- ironically, for her new song, "Cocoa Butter" -- because India's skin is noticeably lighter than what she really looks like ('memba Beyonce?).

But sources close to India tell TMZ, the criticism is ridiculous ... because the "lightened" skin is merely the product of the camera flash and angle. India never asked to be lightened.

But the fact remains ... India approved the photo, and HAD to notice it wasn't a true reflection of her skin color.

India just tweeted, writing, "Personally speaking! i'm happy to say I have NOT BLEACHED my skin LOL! ROTF at the thought."

She added, "1. I wouldn't endanger my health that way 2. i'm so in love with myself I have no DESIRE to BLEACH myself. 3. The GLOW you see IS (magnificent) lighting 4. THE LIGHT you see, Well thats all ME!!"

RobRod

Attention TMZ: Please provide us with another option to your answers to some of your stupid questions like: C: WHO CARES?

SoWhat

Really doubt she had it lightened on purpose but it's 100% certain that the music label did. They don't care one bit about what the artists want.

ChitownCletus

either way she is pretty

renae

This is so stupid...to feel the need to apologize for the exposure on a photo. These "skin lightening" stories and accusations are irritating.

LISA

Maybe the photographer did try to make her skin look lighter in this pic, but so what? Women like to change up their looks sometimes. Some fair skinned people like the look of darker skin, so they tan. People with straight hair curl it sometimes. It's as simple as that. I love the way she looks with both skin tones.

msteve

Let's be real. All black actresses and entertainers get their skin lightened and their noses done. I guess it's so they can appeal to a different market. It's your body so do you however, don't put out songs about loving your natural self and women empowerment if you can't be real and love the natural you.

Promise Marks

Photography is amazing what I find interesting was that I saw this photo yesterday on a promo announcing the release of her new album I thought wow I love the bronzing Look I saw royalty not a black woman trying to be light India is very proud of who she is that's always reflected in her music hence why would she change now. I love india Arie and I hope her soulful music will bring back a sound and style that R&B has long since lost.

Caitlin

Why isn't there a who cares button?

Enlightened

Oh, so the "fact remains", huh? Get down off your high horse, TMZ. Why is it that you never utter a word when Beyaki is flouncing her wide ass around, lightening both her photos and her SKIN to the point that she now looks like Gwyneth Paltrow's overweight twin? Between that and pretending to be FRENCH, FAT ASS KNOWLES, more than anyone, deserves to be called out for her blatant racial self-hatred.

EasilyHard

Maybe she stays out of the sun..michael jakson voice

Rocko

First off, what's with people coming in here asking "who cares?" Why did you click the article if you "don't care"? Ugh.

Anyway, I really don't know if she truly had knowledge of her lightened photo and approved it. Since her one album I haven't really heard anything from her. I have a feeling her label had a big part in this, and she kinda had to go along with it. Who knows?

And FYI, black singers and entertainers should NOT have to change their skin color to appeal to a "different market". It's 2013 for crying out loud.

xrodriguez

She is a gorgeous black woman .. she actually looks bad on the "whiteout" photo

Barbarascy

It's sad that this is news, but whatever. Photographing African Americans can be very tricky. It is absolutely true that a flash can make one appear lighter. Lighting can also alter the skin tone. Photoshopping is rampant with magazines and most published content. Most celebrities are airbrushed within an inch of their lives. And it may be true that Arie approved a picture, but who's to say that it was THIS version of the picture. The photo might have been photoshopped AFTER she approved it. By the time it was published it might have been altered without her knowing how it had been altered. It happens all the time.

MYSTERYDATE

Darling, you green-lighted the release of the artwork and I suspect, very pleased.

MEME

Camera lighting can definately make skin color change in a professional photo, but I don't know if this was intentional.