India.Arie

I Didn't Mean

To Look Light-Skinned

3/29/2013 10:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0329-india-arie-5
Afro-centric singer India.Arie -- famous for singing about her "Brown Skin" -- is now making excuses for the extremely light-skinned photo on the cover of her new single ... telling friends, her skin was NOT intentionally whitewashed.

There's been a lot of commotion about the new photo -- ironically, for her new song, "Cocoa Butter" -- because India's skin is noticeably lighter than what she really looks like ('memba Beyonce?).

But sources close to India tell TMZ, the criticism is ridiculous ... because the "lightened" skin is merely the product of the camera flash and angle. India never asked to be lightened.

But the fact remains ... India approved the photo, and HAD to notice it wasn't a true reflection of her skin color.

India just tweeted, writing, "Personally speaking! i'm happy to say I have NOT BLEACHED my skin LOL! ROTF at the thought."

She added, "1. I wouldn't endanger my health that way 2. i'm so in love with myself I have no DESIRE to BLEACH myself. 3. The GLOW you see IS (magnificent) lighting 4. THE LIGHT you see, Well thats all ME!!"

stargazer

In the photo India is a brown-skinned woman. TMZ don't know what light skinned looks like.

Dorkney Dunkins

You guys know nothing about photography. A camera flash, combined with certain lighting conditions, really can make a person look several shades brighter without the need for Photoshop.

NOT ELMO

Nobody Says Anything When Taylor Swift or Maybe Emma Stone Look a Little Whiter or a Maybe Little Darker in a Photo............So Why on India.Arie !

TipBossyB5000

First of all its not unusual for the camera flash to make a black person look lighter smh happens to me all the time

trulyT

She had a BAD photographer who obviously does not know how to light darker skin women of color. Thats why she looks washed out. That is not uncommon with some of these photographers.

Sometimes photogs will adjust there filters to make a dark skin woman look light for there own portfolio. And you all didnt talk about air brushing which adds to the problem.
If her whole shoot was lit that way then she didnt have a choice. I speak from experience. She should have demanded a re-shoot.

Melissa

You learn something new everyday. I didn't know a camera flash could drastically change your skin color.

the_truth

From inside the industry, I will say, as India Arie herself has admitted, she has an inferiority complex when it comes to her browner skin and less than model looks. She is talented beyond reason, however, she does compare herself to Beyonce and Alicia Keys. I was at the Grammy awards the year she was nominated, but Beyonce and Alicia swept the awards. I saw and heard it all. But nevertheless, the truth of this matter is that her skin was lightened, she knew about it, approved it, expected some backlash but not this much and probably for the first time, feels that she looks more beautiful than she actually believes herself to be. We are witnessing a talented young lady's intense internal struggle with severe insecurities. Period.

lisalee

please india u cant fool me u wanted it because everyone knws before anything is printed u need to sign of on i,t u need to proof read, proof look so u are lying go ahead change, u wanna be white dam y cant we jus be happy with wht we were bless with cant fool me india

CrystalT

I'm sorry India but you need more people

dyls_E

i don't get why it matters... its just a tonal adjustment on the photo playing on the gold look and feel of the artwork. If you have a photo of yourself printed on silver paper it doesn't mean that you are trying to make people think you have silver skin.. and who cares if you were

justme111

She need to tell the truth and shame the devil.

Bkshorti

Love ur music but if u didnt wanted the pix u wouldn't approved of thm. U wanna b like beyonce n bleach sweety nthn wrong w it jus b honest. U probably think whn u ur skin u have more fun lol.

RuthieB

Because b.hussein stole the Presidency again it is UNACCEPTABLE to be white or Christian.

Just Me

You know she had to approve that cover. We aren't stupid.

Oenac

She's always had an issue with her skin color which is why she constantly brings it up in every doggone song under the guise of "helping others"...GTFOH. She approved the pics because she liked "the look."