India.Arie

I Didn't Mean

To Look Light-Skinned

3/29/2013 10:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0329-india-arie-5
Afro-centric singer India.Arie -- famous for singing about her "Brown Skin" -- is now making excuses for the extremely light-skinned photo on the cover of her new single ... telling friends, her skin was NOT intentionally whitewashed.

There's been a lot of commotion about the new photo -- ironically, for her new song, "Cocoa Butter" -- because India's skin is noticeably lighter than what she really looks like ('memba Beyonce?).

But sources close to India tell TMZ, the criticism is ridiculous ... because the "lightened" skin is merely the product of the camera flash and angle. India never asked to be lightened.

But the fact remains ... India approved the photo, and HAD to notice it wasn't a true reflection of her skin color.

India just tweeted, writing, "Personally speaking! i'm happy to say I have NOT BLEACHED my skin LOL! ROTF at the thought."

She added, "1. I wouldn't endanger my health that way 2. i'm so in love with myself I have no DESIRE to BLEACH myself. 3. The GLOW you see IS (magnificent) lighting 4. THE LIGHT you see, Well thats all ME!!"

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Wow ...

Wow, who knew flashes made your skin lighter all over. Amazing. Photographers have been keeping this a secret!

vanessaolivia

Can't stand when a person want to change the colour they are born with. You are black be proud

Kendra

TMZ, you do know we get lighter in the winter right?

taz

It's her skin. She is free to do whatever she wants with it, and owes nothing to nobody.

malia

Light or dark she's still ugly

ChitownCletus

It is good friday, be nice to each other :)

R

Color doesn't matter only when the pundits say it matters.

Pudding Tang

Making mountains out of mole hills. Pics can be easily altered to whatever tone desired even after it's taken. This one was probably due to the photographer's preference.

Cheryl

Let the bleaching begin.

Most H8d

I don't care how much bleaching she does a woman of her complexion will not change from being that dark to that light it's obvious the photo is edited dummies

Scary

Oh, please. You do all realize that besides what the photographer did while taking the photo, someone no doubt retouched it in Photoshop, a graphic designer had to lay out the cover, and then it went somewhere else for the printed version? Are you saying you want the graphic artists to color match to her actual skin tone???

Arete

I mean lightening can change your color, as well as make up. To be honest, sometimes I don't notice if I look lighter or darker in a picture until I've seen in a couple times, because I'm focused on something else. If she said it was not intentional, then why wouldn't I believe her, she hasn't done anything to make me think she's a liar...

Colonel Nudge

"once you lack black"

whocares

Is this for real!?

blacknote

I bet she could sing the National Anthem without the help of a tape recorder and closed mic.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments