TMZ

Our TV Shows

Got a Tip?

Call TMZ at (888) 847-9869 or Click Here

'Buckwild' Star

Carbon Monoxide

Possible Cause of Death

4/1/2013 2:32 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0401_buckwild_bronco_article
update_bar
2:38 PM PT -- TMZ has learned ... the bodies of all 3 victims have been recovered from the scene and have been transferred to the local medical examiner's office where autopsies will be performed.

2:29 PM PT
-- Officials have retrieved Shain's red Ford Bronco from the muddy pit where it was discovered ... and judging by pictures of the car taken at the scene, it appears the vehicle was submerged past the window.

The photos seem to support the theory that the passengers died from carbon monoxide poisoning because the deadly fumes from the car could not escape through the tailpipe, which was completely submerged in the mud.

0314_divider_graphic
There is evidence that "Buckwild" star Shain Gandee may have died from carbon monoxide poisoning ... sources close to the death investigation tell TMZ.

A rep for the Kanawha County Sheriff's Office in West Virginia tells us, the bodies of Shain, his uncle David Gandee, and a third unidentified person are still inside the truck where they were originally found. Authorities have been unable to remove the bodies from the scene because of the truck's location.

According to the rep, Shain's 1984 Bronco is stuck knee-deep in mud in the middle of nowhere ... and the only way to reach it is via an all-terrain vehicle.

We're told there is no cell reception in the area, which is why Shain and the others couldn't be reached. We're also told the bodies were originally discovered today by a passing ATV rider.

Police wouldn't confirm or deny whether carbon monoxide poisoning played a role in the deaths -- but sources connected with the investigation say it's the likely scenario, especially if the exhaust pipe was submerged in mud.

 0401_shain_gandee_remembering_footer

428 COMMENTS

No Avatar

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments
1.

BellaJ    

This is what many readers posted on the previous thread. Hopefully they just fell asleep and didn't suffer. RIP

508 days ago
2.

coop666    

Who?

508 days ago
3.

Ih8Taxes    

OK, call me crazy, but if my exhaust is under the mud and I'm trying to drive out, I'm going to open my windows and try once or twice. And if I still can't get out then I'm walking home.

508 days ago
4.

mcf1040    

Very sad news.

508 days ago
5.

IwuvTMZ    

That's a major oopsies.

508 days ago
6.

Pigweed    

Rednecks ain't to bright!

508 days ago
7.

Uncle Tom    

huh ...

508 days ago
8.

TheEric    

Good. I hope it hurt.

508 days ago
9.

hi    

I don't know who he's,but it's a sad story.

508 days ago
10.

If sense were common everyone would have it.    

Jeez that's how quick it is and they, probably just thinking they were buzzed, just put their heads back for a few moments of shut eye. There was a story a couple years back during one of the huge northeast snowstorms, about a man who was just sitting in his car in the morning warming it up to go to work, but the tailpipe was buried in snow, and he died. It is really that quick. SMH.

508 days ago
11.

Tigerisbetterthanyou    

That's pretty funny stuff!!!

508 days ago
12.

ABB    

No big loss, Hee-Hawww! Com' on Bubba! who cares about this, let's go fishin'!

508 days ago
13.

bob_bitchin    

Bet none of u haters saw that coming huh?

508 days ago
14.

nonexample    

Yeh. Jeeps have snorkel attachments so this doesnt happen and off roadinv at 3AM...kinda unwise...no cell recept or radio.....its a sad story alright and it didnt have to happen.

508 days ago
15.

Jamie2794    

New it! He had his enginee cut out..one think you should never do..and why it's against the law in big cities..but sad for his lose and carbon monoxide is pretty quick ..2 minutes top and pretty painless

508 days ago
| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Around The Web