'Buckwild' Star Shain Gandee

Family Needs Cash to

Cover Funeral Expenses

4/2/2013 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0401_shain_gandee_04
Shain Gandee did not get rich during his brief stint as an MTV reality star -- far from it -- so his family is turning to his community to help pay for funeral expenses ... TMZ has learned.

Shain's cousin, Ashley Gandee, is organizing a memorial "mud run" (an off-road trucking event) to ease the financial strain on Shain's family in the wake of the "Buckwild" star's death.

"I know the strain they are going through," Ashley tells us ... adding, "It's hard to provide a proper burial. It's already tough with the loss of family members ... expenses are tough as well."

FYI -- Ashley was with Shain at the opening of her shop Gandee's General Store in Crown City, Ohio on Saturday ... two days before he was found dead.

Ashley tells us the "mud run" event will take place Wednesday night in Proctorville, Ohio -- a town about 50 miles from Charleston, West Virginia where "Buckwild" is filmed.

We're told there will be a $10 charge for each vehicle -- Ashley's store will also be taking donations.

It's unclear how much dough Shain made during his career on the MTV show -- but as we learned from the "Jersey Shore" situation, the stars don't usually see a big pay day until AFTER the show becomes a hit. It's safe to say Shain was probably making a couple thousand dollars at best.

0401_shain_bronco

As we previously reported ... Shain was found dead in his Ford Bronco Monday in West Virginia -- along with his uncle and a male friend -- after the vehicle was submerged in mud. Carbon Monoxide poisoning may have been the cause.

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

Andrea Steen

May he rest in peace..such a younge age to have passed. He definatly was the life of the show! I will keep his family in my thoughts and prayers

Amy

Momma always says, stupid is, as stupid does.

55vineyard

When my husband passed away, it only cost $1000 for cremation and burial at sea. Now if they want a funeral with cemetary plot, service, reception, etc. the
costs rise a lot. If they scale back their plans they should be able to afford a simple cremation.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners

MTV should stand up and pay for the funeral. They make money off these kids lives its the LEAST they could do.

hellokitty_89

Very time I see picture of him makes me wanna cry my parys go out to his friends and family shain gandee ull sadly will be missed

Lynn M

Even if he had life insurance, that money takes time to get. You have to get a death certificate, beneficiary signatures, and then it has to process. It can take weeks. I wonder if he had auto insurance. Maybe it could be considered a car accident?

Uh no

A fundraiser the same way that killed the kid?! Kind of sounds in bad taste. There must be another sport they love?!

honeybld

Whats with the sh!tty comments?? You need to watch out when karma goes slumming!

Ruth fraser

Step-up MTV.

Socalpimp

Nice, MTV ripping off their talent

WVgirl82

For all those posting negative comments, especially calling shain a dumb hillbilly, you can bet that he didn't care one iota what your opinion of him is or was, neither do the rest of the WV people. You will have your ignorant stereotypes of us because your ignorance overcomes you!

TheOfficalHayden

I believe they should play the second season, see how many views they get, and keep the ones with gander in it, so the fans can have one more thing to remember him by. I understand it maybe hard, but its out of respect we pay our dues to shain.

elii

I really think people should stop been disrespectful shain was a lively fun seeking young man who passed away doing something he loved the family and friends are raising money by doing what Shain loved best buck wild will not be the same without this young man shinning his light on all of the cast you should really have respect because what goes around comes around

Jessica WV Born and Bred

Its pathetic that MTV can't spare the extra cost to have all 3 men a funeral. This kid made them tons of money and was paid next to nothing for it. Is it really going to put a dent in your pockets MTV? Your network is nothing but crap anymore anyways your lucky you have viewers! I know I may only be one person but I'm boycotting your network in my home! After seeing your greediness and not helping ones in need your not worthy of being on television, I hope none of you come into hard times and can't afford something like this for a loved one. If I could find a legit contact on your piece of crap website I would send it to mTV directly!! RiP To all THREE men who lost their lives and prayers to their families!

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10