« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Magic Johnson Tells All

Gay Son, Black Hatred

& Closeted Athletes Coming Out

4/4/2013 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

040313_magic_talk_ej_launch
Magic Johnson has never talked about it before ... but he wanted to open up about his gay son and the implications that Earvin Johnson III's coming out will have in the black community, in the sports community and in their lives.

TMZ sat down with the NBA legend for an unbelievably candid interview -- we've divided the video into three parts:

1) How Magic went to his son around the age of 13 and asked, "Are you gay?" Magic explains why he felt the need to approach his kid and the importance of letting EJ know his whole family loved and supported him.

040313_magic_antigay_haters_launch
2) Magic tells us how he feels about some of the hateful reactions to EJ's coming out on African-American blogs and whether he's bitter, given his unparalleled support of the black community.

040313_magic_athletes_out_launch
3) Magic talks about how his son's coming out could inspire professional athletes to follow suit.  Harvey also asks Magic how, as the owner of the L.A. Dodgers, he would react to a player coming out.

You gotta watch Magic -- he's awesome and inspiring.

040113_ervin_johnson_launch_v3

0404_earvin_magic_together_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

z162826

R.I.P Martin Luther King.

z162826

April 4, 1968

z162826

Don't just remember his birthday......remember his death April 4, 1968. Black hatred??? More like Jewish hatred for posting this ridiculous title, on the anniversary of the death of a saint.

Nonsense

Hey TMZ, why play the race card.

JOE KAOPUIKI

nothing can compare to a parents love for there child.. thats why GOD saved magic's life so he could go forth a spread the love to all gay's or straights

justsaying

Always support your child, but you don't have to support everything they do when you know it's wrong. I just don't understand why people get angry at us who went to school, learned, Biology and Science and discovered, through teaching, that same sex is just plain wrong. I refuse to believe that I wasted all those years in school learning something that just wasn't true, and that my teachers were nothing more than frauds. And I'm not going to cast aside everything I learned JUST to make others happy. I'm afraid that bandwagon will just have to pass me by.

Stephen Stewart

Magic is gay and led his son down the path to sin. Rest in hell boys!

jes

As the parent of a gay child I really appreciate what magic is saying and agree with him 100%. Your child is your child regardless of the sexual orientation. To be a parent is to love unconditionally. My Daughter is an incredable individual and I wouldn't change her for the world she is exactly as she is supposed to be and I love her more ever day.

tucker

What a cute little boy he was!! Magic - you're a good dad.

yarply

Sure his home boys knew even then about how accepting he was and still is of gays. He hung out with them before so why would anyone be surprised.

bronze2000

Do you really expect Magic to state that he dislikes what his son is doing? Come on now. He's proud? Proud of what? Yes, this is what you dreamed of for your son. Yeah, right.So many people are jumping on the bandwagon to avoid conflict but in their hearts they really don't like this turn of events that's going on.

Brianmc

Once you complete your transgender procedure are you no longer considered gay or lesbian? Chastity (Chad) Bono is a man now who loves women (not gay) at what point would someone not considered gay after this process? I’m not trying to be mean, I’m looking for society prospective of “if you saw him now with a woman and he said he was gay would that be acceptable and what of the partner if she is in a relationship with a “working” male is she considered gay (even if she was with him throughout the process)

Observer

WHO CARES. And why does what sex you have sex with determine anything 'but' that?
Why does it supposedly elevate some over others?
Hey... I like to have sex with my opposite sex... where's my parade!?
(Migraine)

b real 13 13

This is sad you know he is not happy why do we have to fake it for the public

GordonG

You're a class act, Magic! And one heck of a dad! Hang tight, my man!