« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Magic Johnson Tells All

Gay Son, Black Hatred

& Closeted Athletes Coming Out

4/4/2013 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

040313_magic_talk_ej_launch
Magic Johnson has never talked about it before ... but he wanted to open up about his gay son and the implications that Earvin Johnson III's coming out will have in the black community, in the sports community and in their lives.

TMZ sat down with the NBA legend for an unbelievably candid interview -- we've divided the video into three parts:

1) How Magic went to his son around the age of 13 and asked, "Are you gay?" Magic explains why he felt the need to approach his kid and the importance of letting EJ know his whole family loved and supported him.

040313_magic_antigay_haters_launch
2) Magic tells us how he feels about some of the hateful reactions to EJ's coming out on African-American blogs and whether he's bitter, given his unparalleled support of the black community.

040313_magic_athletes_out_launch
3) Magic talks about how his son's coming out could inspire professional athletes to follow suit.  Harvey also asks Magic how, as the owner of the L.A. Dodgers, he would react to a player coming out.

You gotta watch Magic -- he's awesome and inspiring.

040113_ervin_johnson_launch_v3

0404_earvin_magic_together_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Josh2013

I bet magic has had some gay sex in his days

Melody

I am African American and female, when I heard that Magic's son was gay and I seen the video I was like what in God's name is really going on! I am sorry but as a parent myself of an 18 yr old daughter and 8 yr old son, that is one of the worst and more hurtful things that a parent could know
about their child.."Mom I am gay"! wow! first thing
I would do is call on the name of Jesus to cleanse
my child of the demonic deception and lie towards
nature and the design God Almighty planned for
man and woman to conduct themselves on earth!
No way in the hell will I go along with that kind of foolishness from my child! Not happening! I love
my babies a lot, but to tell me some bs like that
is no bueno!!!

nikon_121

Good. Your son is gay. Let him live his life and keep us un-posted. But, tell us about Kobe?

Melody

I go to the same church as magic and I have seen him and his wife there too! The black community does not
support unnatural causes against the nature and design God layed out for man and woman! we are not hateful towards gays, we just won't accept the actions they chose to live! we also don't accept drug dealing and murder in our community either! we are not a people to just jump on the social band wagon just because everybody else is doing so! how can the black community support a cause, a choice the gay community has made to be gay, lesbian or bi or tranny, when we as a people still aren't entirely free! we have yet to recieve our 40 arches and a mule from the United States of America, still have places we can't go, things we can't say or do! all becaise of the color of our skin, not based on our education and economical statis. A white or non black gay person can clean him or herself up and still go into a board room and earn 20 trillion dollars. Not a black heterosexual person or even a gay black person! the black community has enough on our plate, trying to save our men, kids, family keep our loyalty and faith in God Almighty, we have no room to fight for our men loving another man like he loves a woman. O r a woman loving another woman like she is suppose to love a man. We don't need anymore deciet and foolishness and problems in our community!

Kc

Why dont we all mind are own business. Stop getting in everyone elses lives. Dont we have enough going on in are own lives to really care? I mean really ppl who cares people are going to do whatever they want. Get over it an do something productive with your own life.

Wrestlingmark00

His son is not gay but became a 50 yr old grandma

WTF

This is one self centered mother ****er. He only talks about things that affect him directly. Such an opportunist. Since he beat HIV, he hasn't been a done anything and now that his son is a huge flamer, he has something more to say.

simply

I dont want my son gay not at all I played football I don't want my two least to be gay are having a game and watch me take a shower but as soon as you speak out early gay people now everybody is forcing you say that you want to accept gayness because of you speak again now you will get with you or like 10 years ago it didn't mean anything I don't want no gays in professional sports at all Magic Johnson XF stat that says gay that's because he's bisexual

WTF

He looks like a compete fool in that outfit and with that purse. Dont they ever think that that outrageous crap is what is so hard for mainstream culture to accept.

blaquebeauty

Everytime I read something on someone always turns it into racism. The problem that you are experiencing is not the fact that you dislike black people its that your ancestors plan blew up in your faces. Who would have thought that these slaves would learn how to read and become millionaires while you continue to struggle and read about them in the media!!! Now get over it already, its getting old and tired. As for Melodie I'm more than positive your church has no problem accepting their tithes and offerings which probably is more than you all make in a year. You are in no place to judge if your children were to one day say they were gay would you love them any less and if so how could u put conditions on your love for them when GOD didn't put any on you. Racist and Self Righteous Christians make me sick!!!!!

Yah

PEOPLE WE HAVE BIGGER FISH TO FRY AND STOP REFERRING TO YOUR DEAD WHITE JESUS SO CALLED BLK FOLK ZOMBIE CLONES

tonyanicole757

I'm so sick of my African American counterparts being so damn ignorant. Number 1 stop effing blasting people saying they are racist! Its been around its still around and it will be around. They were brought up on beliefs just like you were. Its not right but you need to focus on your community cause as far as i see many of us are lazy scared to work fast food or labor jobs cause of their image. When did welfare food stamps and selling drugs become more acceptable. Our ancestors are no doubt pissed! Number 2 Hate the Sin NOT the sinner. Korea wants to blow us up y'all are worried about what people are doing in their own damn home? Let them get married the sanctity of married has been ruined by straight people anyway 58% get divorced. If its not taking good out ta our mouths money out ta your pockets stopping you from doing what YOU need to do then what does it matter? We will stand before god For OUR sins not others.. . And by the way a sin is a sun so I'm sure half of y'all posting this crap had sex before marriage lied have tattoos drink smoke and other things that are a sin. Are you denied to live your life by law? DIDNT THINK SO!!!!!

tonyanicole757

*a sin is a sin

Jayman58

Magic, every gay son and daughter out there whose family and friends have turned their backs on them could only wish to have a father like you. You do the world proud.

ldavis

Could not admire his promiscuity but I admired how Magic took the bull by the horns and handled his HIV while in the public eye. He has again acted in a class act manner with his families latest sexual issue.