« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Magic Johnson Tells All

Gay Son, Black Hatred

& Closeted Athletes Coming Out

4/4/2013 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

040313_magic_talk_ej_launch
Magic Johnson has never talked about it before ... but he wanted to open up about his gay son and the implications that Earvin Johnson III's coming out will have in the black community, in the sports community and in their lives.

TMZ sat down with the NBA legend for an unbelievably candid interview -- we've divided the video into three parts:

1) How Magic went to his son around the age of 13 and asked, "Are you gay?" Magic explains why he felt the need to approach his kid and the importance of letting EJ know his whole family loved and supported him.

040313_magic_antigay_haters_launch
2) Magic tells us how he feels about some of the hateful reactions to EJ's coming out on African-American blogs and whether he's bitter, given his unparalleled support of the black community.

040313_magic_athletes_out_launch
3) Magic talks about how his son's coming out could inspire professional athletes to follow suit.  Harvey also asks Magic how, as the owner of the L.A. Dodgers, he would react to a player coming out.

You gotta watch Magic -- he's awesome and inspiring.

040113_ervin_johnson_launch_v3

0404_earvin_magic_together_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13

drenah

Its so ridiculous that people are so full of it! First the Black community needs to stop! I am Black and beautiful but I am not gay-that does not make me better or worse than anyone else. I went to church with hundreds of people sitting in the pews and heard a popular and respected minister condemn "***s" and "punks" like it was right. But God is LOVE! If God is great enough to give us free will-why can't the Black community?

drenah

That hatred is the same type of hate that was encouraged in communities and churches for decades against Black people and NOW WE are promoting hate. I don't believe that Magic Johnson is gay, but I do know that he has done great things for OUR community. I don't know if his son should dress better but I believe he has a family that loves and supports him and to me- THAT'S what counts!

kenlikebarbie

I wanted to personally say thank you to Magic & EJ for the model that they've set throughout this media-frenzy.
An Open Letter to anyone with gay kids, Love your children! Bravo!

The Great Jaguar

Yes he handled this situation with class and nothing less should be expected from a guy with a history of it but it had to be rough on Magic to discover that his son is gay. I would be devastated. I don't hate gay people but I wouldn't want my son to be in that category. Magic is a phenomenal human being that has and its still is accomplishing extraordinary things. Continued Greatness Magic

elsie

Why can't gays stay in the closet. That black basket ball player should help his business to himself. I don't think Obama should have called him and the news media wasted to much time in reporting any gay people coming ot. Who cares ,I'm tired of them whining about their rights. There are more pressing matters happening in the besides so-called gay people.

Jeannine

Just as gross as Cher's "son". Why would this overweight purse carrying queen be a role model?

Previous 15 Comments | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13