Pregnant Man

Divorce Judge is WRONG

I'm a Real Man!

4/4/2013 12:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0402-thomas-beatie

"Pregnant Man" Thomas Beatie is PISSED after a judge refused to grant him a divorce from his estranged wife -- and tells TMZ he's willing to take the fight all the way to the Supreme Court.

Beatie, a transgender male, is appealing a decision handed down Friday ... when a judge in AZ denied his divorce from Nancy Beatie -- on the grounds the marriage was NEVER legal since Beatie couldn't prove he was a man during their nuptials ... and the state doesn't recognize same-sex marriage.

Beatie tells TMZ he's not giving up the fight, his attorneys are already drafting up the appeal -- and he'll go the Supreme Court if that's what it takes.

He explains, "This is personal. This ruling is an attack on my person, my identity, and my family. It's sad and embarrassing that Judge Gerlach is more focused on wanting to delegitimize my children than legitimize my family."

Beatie continues, "The judge is obviously uncomfortable with me. He has a problem with me having a legal male identity and using my internal organs to start a family."

You'll recall ... the judge made it clear from the beginning​, he had issues with the validity of Beatie's marriage based on the fact that while married he bore the couple's 3 children ... something no man could do.

But Beatie is adamant, the issue is MUCH bigger than his divorce ... "This is not Beatie versus Beatie. This is the State of AZ versus transgender people, human reproductive rights, and fairness under the law."

FYI -- Beatie was born a woman, but began a sex change in 1997. He married Nancy in 2003 in Hawaii. He filed for divorce in April 2012, claiming Nancy was abusive. Allegations she denied.

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

DeeWA2008

oh for gosh sake.. you had a child, hormones do not make you a man.

AF*agent

Oh yea...NOW "he" wants to be a "man"...

JrzGrl

So why fight to get divorced if you're not even legally married in your state? Where's the battle here?

Queen.of.the.Obvious

Well which is it? Does he want to be a heterosexual man married to a woman or does he want to be a lesbian with a fully functioning uterus? I don't think it's really fair (or logical) for him to be getting in a huff over people not accepting his identity as a man when he repeatedly bares children with his female organs. He isn't fully embracing the whole concept of gender identity here - if he were, he wouldn't be using his uterus; his girlfriend/wife would be the one to bare the children as he is the "man". Right. 0_o So, until this "man" decides on what it is exactly that he wants to live his life as, no one can effectively label him. He can say he's living his life as a man all he wants, but getting pregnant and carrying/baring children doesn't equate to the identity he's claiming. Sorry, you can't have it both ways, "sir".

Bizz

oh get over yourself. you're just trying to make yourself into a martyr. so why exactly do you think you're a man? cause you have a mustache?! you're a WOMAN. married to a WOMAN. i dont understand how you think you could prove any different.

Melissa

He is not a man, men can't have babies. The is no such thing as a pregnant man, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't say, I want to be a man, and I want to give birth. You can't be both. I have no problem with his sexual orientation, that's his business. But to say your aman and expect to be treated as such. Then turn around and do something (give birth) doesn't make sense

MYOB

She is a woman with woman's parts. If she had the full change over maybe..but she and Chastity Bono are women who couldn't fully commit..its pathetic.

Shannon

i am so sick of people calling pregnant man! He is not a real man he had a sex change and he/she still had the women part to get knockup! i am so sick of this crap!

Joseph Diehl

You were not born a man,;the judge was correct , his ruling.

Devlin

If he wants to live his life as a man, then more power to him, but personally, I honestly don't feel that you could legally be classified as a man while being pregnant. It just seems so contrasting. Genetically speaking, only women can become pregnant, so if you were pregnant at the time then genetically speaking, you're a woman.

MrsAJones

I'm sorry, but a real man wouldn't be divorcing his wife for abuse. He would fight back. This just proves to me that "his" wife had more balls than him. He's still too much of a girl.

MrsAJones