Roger Ebert

DEAD AT 70

4/4/2013 12:42 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0404_roger_ebert_getty_2Roger Ebert -- one of the most famous movie critics of all time -- died today after a battle with cancer.  He was 70 years old.

Ebert was diagnosed with thyroid and salivary cancer in 2002. Four years later, doctors removed part of his lower jaw, preventing him from speaking and eating.  However, Ebert continued to write movie reviews almost until the day he died.

Ebert is a legend in Hollywood -- with a star on the Walk of Fame to prove it. Along with critic Gene Siskel, he famously popularized the use of  the "Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down" ratings system.

Aside from writing movie critiques for the Chicago Sun-Times for 46 years, he also hosted "At The Movies" from the early 80s until 2006.

In 1986, he was joined on the show by fellow critic Gene Siskel, who passed away in 1999.  After Siskel's death, his chair was filled by Richard Roeper -- and he and Ebert continued on with the show until 2006.

According to the Sun-Times, Ebert was an early investor in Google -- and more than likely made a fortune because of it.

Ebert is survived by his wife, step-daughter and two step-grandchildren.

In his final blog entry penned earlier this week, Ebert addressed his illness and essentially said goodbye ... writing:

"It really stinks that the cancer has returned and that I have spent too many days in the hospital. So on bad days I may write about the vulnerability that accompanies illness. On good days, I may wax ecstatic about a movie so good it transports me beyond illness."

"So on this day of reflection I say again, thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies."

0404_roger_ebert_remembering_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10

Cool Breeze

A good man.

McSmack

Siskel & Ebert were the only movie critics I paid attention to, now what am I going to do? All the critics today blow, R.I.P. S&E.

nof

Fought the good fight - went out a hero/role model.

Dealt with his own adversity - with great courage.

McSmack

I remember when American Psycho came out, Ebert gave it a Thumbs Down but at the time said Christian Bale would become a Movie Star, he was right. When Heat (1995) came out, Ebert said Amy Brennen would get work after this role, Judging Amy lasted what,5,6 seasons? I won't forget that.R.I.P. E.

chris martin

suggestion, could your news reporters on the TMZ afternoon show on TV, please wear your name tags so i could know who to direct my comments Thanking you in advance

ivy4990

His final statement bought tears to my eyes

Peter Popoff

Rip to Roger he looks like my Grandma

Tina A., Lakewood, CA

R.I.P Mr. Ebert, you will missed and we all will see you at the movies again. God willing.

LAPartyMcSage

His watch as a film critic back in the good old days reminds you of a time when movies were good and the 20th century was the big bang of pop culture. Since millennial showbiz sucks and there are rarely any decent movies to review anymore, he checked out at the right time. RIP

CloBird

Rest in peace. Siskel and Ebert are reunited. There will never be any one like these two again.

Miss. Priest

He was an Arrogant ass. A lot of people didnt like him. Stop acting like he was so great. He was not.

M. Shields

I always wondered what was with Siskel and Ebert? I recall they gave out Betsy Palmer's home address over the air, and requesting fans write to her with their displeasure of her appearing in Friday the 13th. As for me, I never cared for their reviews. I loved their "Dogs of the week" segment

FriskitokID