Roger Ebert

DEAD AT 70

4/4/2013 12:42 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0404_roger_ebert_getty_2Roger Ebert -- one of the most famous movie critics of all time -- died today after a battle with cancer.  He was 70 years old.

Ebert was diagnosed with thyroid and salivary cancer in 2002. Four years later, doctors removed part of his lower jaw, preventing him from speaking and eating.  However, Ebert continued to write movie reviews almost until the day he died.

Ebert is a legend in Hollywood -- with a star on the Walk of Fame to prove it. Along with critic Gene Siskel, he famously popularized the use of  the "Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down" ratings system.

Aside from writing movie critiques for the Chicago Sun-Times for 46 years, he also hosted "At The Movies" from the early 80s until 2006.

In 1986, he was joined on the show by fellow critic Gene Siskel, who passed away in 1999.  After Siskel's death, his chair was filled by Richard Roeper -- and he and Ebert continued on with the show until 2006.

According to the Sun-Times, Ebert was an early investor in Google -- and more than likely made a fortune because of it.

Ebert is survived by his wife, step-daughter and two step-grandchildren.

In his final blog entry penned earlier this week, Ebert addressed his illness and essentially said goodbye ... writing:

"It really stinks that the cancer has returned and that I have spent too many days in the hospital. So on bad days I may write about the vulnerability that accompanies illness. On good days, I may wax ecstatic about a movie so good it transports me beyond illness."

"So on this day of reflection I say again, thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies."

0404_roger_ebert_remembering_footer

Mitz

Rest in Peace Mr Ebert.

seamus

RIP the first post said it the best-it is the end of an era. Prayers to his wife, family and friends.

Jericho Morton

And do you think that unto such as you;
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew:
God gave the secret, and denied it me?--
Well, well, what matters it! Believe that, too.

e391615r

REST IN PEACE MR. EBERT. You will be missed. Thumbs up to you!

lanie

Very sad.. He had a tough road the past 10 years or so.. He was definitely a fighter.. RIP~

PS~ He's the one who helped make Oprah a billionaire.. He encouraged her into going into syndication...

IwuvTMZ

RIP

kade

This is so sad. Thyroid cancer is actually very treatable if found early. Hopefully Mr Ebert's death will raise awareness of thyroid cancer.

Kemosabe

This guy is a legend. Sparked my love of movies...RIP Roger

DownSouth

Per Mr. Ebert's request, he will be buried with two thumbs up his ass.

Gretchen

RIP my friend!

Melissa B

Wow. This is shocking seeing as I just read something about him taking some time off but didn't think it was this serious. This is horrible. Just so sad. Condolence to his wife and children and rest of his family and friends. :( So much history. He won't be here to review all of the movies anymore. I hope he is at peace.

DaNi

This is so sad...RIP

MrR

I had a little battle with the "Big C" i won for now .RIP You fought the good fight.

MrR

I had a little with the " Big C "

Michelle2012

I just saw an interview yesterday saying that he was now quitting his job after 40+ years. I think he really liked what he did. He will be sorely missed. You can RIP now Mr. Ebert.