Roger Ebert

DEAD AT 70

4/4/2013 12:42 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0404_roger_ebert_getty_2Roger Ebert -- one of the most famous movie critics of all time -- died today after a battle with cancer.  He was 70 years old.

Ebert was diagnosed with thyroid and salivary cancer in 2002. Four years later, doctors removed part of his lower jaw, preventing him from speaking and eating.  However, Ebert continued to write movie reviews almost until the day he died.

Ebert is a legend in Hollywood -- with a star on the Walk of Fame to prove it. Along with critic Gene Siskel, he famously popularized the use of  the "Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down" ratings system.

Aside from writing movie critiques for the Chicago Sun-Times for 46 years, he also hosted "At The Movies" from the early 80s until 2006.

In 1986, he was joined on the show by fellow critic Gene Siskel, who passed away in 1999.  After Siskel's death, his chair was filled by Richard Roeper -- and he and Ebert continued on with the show until 2006.

According to the Sun-Times, Ebert was an early investor in Google -- and more than likely made a fortune because of it.

Ebert is survived by his wife, step-daughter and two step-grandchildren.

In his final blog entry penned earlier this week, Ebert addressed his illness and essentially said goodbye ... writing:

"It really stinks that the cancer has returned and that I have spent too many days in the hospital. So on bad days I may write about the vulnerability that accompanies illness. On good days, I may wax ecstatic about a movie so good it transports me beyond illness."

"So on this day of reflection I say again, thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies."

0404_roger_ebert_remembering_footer

me

RIP Mr Ebert, we'll see you at the movies.

elm

I miss Siskel.

disembedded

A deeply kind and wonderful man. A very sad day for Chicago, and the world.

Vince Teron

I remember when Gene Siskel died and they listed him at the Academy Awards annual tribute to people in the film industry who had passed away that year. Most of people in the audience booed and hissed. I hope they don't do the same for Roger Ebert, because despite anything he said about a film or the actors and actresses he critiqued, more often than not, he was accurate in his assessments. It's sad to see him go.

flora68

Bummer. We just heard his cancer was back YESTERDAY, and already he's dead. He sure fought the good fight though; he went through physical HELL to get bones taken from various sites to rebuild his jaw, but it all failed. He hadn't been able to speak or eat for years, literally. This fellow really suffered.

Arcadia Rink

RIP Roger Ebert. I loved your reviews!

hellooo!!

RIP

bb

Holy sh*t, I was just thinking about Roger...this is freaky. This man had an amazing talent with words, I always loved reading his reviews even when I totally didn't agree with them. Roger is irreplacable, he will be sorely missed.

Wolftech

Good to see karma still works.

Kay Kaybear

Incredibly sad.. I didn't always agree with him, but I respected him always. He was a unique, brilliant man. A huge loss. I will miss his wit. One of a kind. RIP. :(

Wow ...

RIP. Condolences to his family, friends and fans!

sean

RIP, Roger. Chicago and the rest of the world will miss you.

Barbara

A very touching last message. RIP Mr Ebert

Jackie

OH NO!!!..I'm kinda shocked because he just wrote the other day that he had cancer again in his leg....and he was talking as if he wasn't gravely ill. He seemed like a pretty nice guy.... I feel really bad for his wife too. I guess it's kind of a good thing that he's no longer suffering from cancer and other ailments...Rest in peace Mr Ebert

dee