Roger Ebert

DEAD AT 70

4/4/2013 12:42 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0404_roger_ebert_getty_2Roger Ebert -- one of the most famous movie critics of all time -- died today after a battle with cancer.  He was 70 years old.

Ebert was diagnosed with thyroid and salivary cancer in 2002. Four years later, doctors removed part of his lower jaw, preventing him from speaking and eating.  However, Ebert continued to write movie reviews almost until the day he died.

Ebert is a legend in Hollywood -- with a star on the Walk of Fame to prove it. Along with critic Gene Siskel, he famously popularized the use of  the "Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down" ratings system.

Aside from writing movie critiques for the Chicago Sun-Times for 46 years, he also hosted "At The Movies" from the early 80s until 2006.

In 1986, he was joined on the show by fellow critic Gene Siskel, who passed away in 1999.  After Siskel's death, his chair was filled by Richard Roeper -- and he and Ebert continued on with the show until 2006.

According to the Sun-Times, Ebert was an early investor in Google -- and more than likely made a fortune because of it.

Ebert is survived by his wife, step-daughter and two step-grandchildren.

In his final blog entry penned earlier this week, Ebert addressed his illness and essentially said goodbye ... writing:

"It really stinks that the cancer has returned and that I have spent too many days in the hospital. So on bad days I may write about the vulnerability that accompanies illness. On good days, I may wax ecstatic about a movie so good it transports me beyond illness."

"So on this day of reflection I say again, thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies."

0404_roger_ebert_remembering_footer

dee

RIP Roger Ebert.

BigSamStewart

Anybody remember what this guy said about Ryan Dunn the day his family and friends found out that he died? Let's be real. This guy was a piece of garbage and doesn't deserve anyone's respect just because he's no longer living.

elm

What, no bikini pics?

Mike D.

Takes me back to my youth... R.I.P

Rob

One less liberal douchebag.

SusanCoyote

I'm glad to see all the nice comments. Seriously, I was afraid to open the comment section.

Coupe09

Didnt know much of his personal life, but I know that name! RIP!

Miva

Mr. Ebert's death is terrible loss , but he is resting now and feeling no pain anymore, he went thru a lot, My prayers are with his beloved wife Chaz (http://dailyentertainmentnews.com/movies/chaz-ebert-roger-eberts-wife-photos/)

nan

Im so sorry to hear this ..He certainly was very valiant in his struggle with cancer.

Criss

Sorry to hear this. Life is an unforgiving tyrant!

Cheryl A.

I just heard a news story on the radio this morning where Roger Ebert wrote that now he will only review the movies he wants to review, see the movies he wants to see and said he is not taking a leave of "absence" he is taking a leave of "Presence" Rest in Peace, Mr. Ebert.

courtneycrick

I give this 2 thumbs down.

nonexample

What a class act. RIP roger.

Vegas mommy

The Hollywood scene will never be the same...they have lost a true legend!! Rest in Peace and 2 thumbs up for your presents in this world!!

EasilyHard

He will be missed. Man..Twitter is turning into a graveyard...