Roger Ebert

DEAD AT 70

4/4/2013 12:42 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0404_roger_ebert_getty_2Roger Ebert -- one of the most famous movie critics of all time -- died today after a battle with cancer.  He was 70 years old.

Ebert was diagnosed with thyroid and salivary cancer in 2002. Four years later, doctors removed part of his lower jaw, preventing him from speaking and eating.  However, Ebert continued to write movie reviews almost until the day he died.

Ebert is a legend in Hollywood -- with a star on the Walk of Fame to prove it. Along with critic Gene Siskel, he famously popularized the use of  the "Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down" ratings system.

Aside from writing movie critiques for the Chicago Sun-Times for 46 years, he also hosted "At The Movies" from the early 80s until 2006.

In 1986, he was joined on the show by fellow critic Gene Siskel, who passed away in 1999.  After Siskel's death, his chair was filled by Richard Roeper -- and he and Ebert continued on with the show until 2006.

According to the Sun-Times, Ebert was an early investor in Google -- and more than likely made a fortune because of it.

Ebert is survived by his wife, step-daughter and two step-grandchildren.

In his final blog entry penned earlier this week, Ebert addressed his illness and essentially said goodbye ... writing:

"It really stinks that the cancer has returned and that I have spent too many days in the hospital. So on bad days I may write about the vulnerability that accompanies illness. On good days, I may wax ecstatic about a movie so good it transports me beyond illness."

"So on this day of reflection I say again, thank you for going on this journey with me. I'll see you at the movies."

0404_roger_ebert_remembering_footer

PureRadiance

Thankyou for the wonderful journey we have had with you reviewing movies. Siskel & Ebert together again. Prayers to you both!

Sue from jersey

You were a great memory from my childhood Roger I remember watching your reviews on your tv show because my parents would never take us to the movies .I wish your family comfort at this difficult time.Thanks for the memories !

Metta Worldhate

He was a pretentious douche. If he liked a movie it sucked and was boring. If a movie a funny, he hated it. He may have been iconic, but he sucked.

big chief

Mr. Ebert allowed me to understand and appreciate movies through his unique perceptions. He was such a genius. His balcony seat is now empty and he will be missed but never forgotten.

jetfanglo

peace,mr.ebert..........

lrb5

REMEMBER SISKEL AND EBERT IN THE SEVENTIES ON CHANNEL 13 IN NYC! MANY PEOPLE DONT REALIZE HOW MUCH HE CARED ABOUT PPL'S RIGHTS! GOD BLESS HIS WIFE! THUMBS UP, OLD FRIEND!

VNVgirl

rest in peace..you put up am amazing fight and thank you for teaching me a lot about film. hugs you made the world a better place.

bestintheworld87

Rest in peace to a true legend in the entertainment business

Chaps

GD it Ebert looks like Liehoe's older brother.

nikon_121

One day announcing tragedy. The next, eternal life. See you at the Movies :-)

Billy

OK, it's sad that someone died, especially from cancer, but let's be serious, as a movie critic, he sucked. His reviews always picked horrible movies, just like every other movie critic. If you didn't like what he liked, then he didn't like you. Plus, this guy was on tv when I was a kid. Most people today have no clue who in the hell he is.

DrTyrell

You can thank cellphones for this one.

siennagold

So very sad. I enjoyed reading his reviews. RIP.

Beluga