Pastor Rick Warren

Famous Evangelical's Son

Commits Suicide

4/6/2013 11:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0406-getty-pastor-rick-warrenThe youngest son of Saddleback Valley Community Church pastor Rick Warren has committed suicide after a long battle with mental illness.

Pastor Rick made the announcement Saturday at his church in Lake Forest, CA. He informed members of his congregation that his son Matthew took his own life Friday night. He was 27.

The church also released a statement, saying, "Matthew was an incredibly kind, gentle and compassionate young man whose sweet spirit was encouragement and comfort to many. Unfortunately, he also suffered from mental illness resulting in deep depression and suicidal thoughts.”

Rick is famous on the evangelical circuit -- he's the author of numerous Christian books, including "The Purpose Driven Life," which has sold over 30 million copies worldwide. He also founded Saddleback Church in 1980, the 8th largest church in the U.S.

BB not bb

This pastor preaches Chrislam, which is the religion of the beast power. It combines the evils of radical Islam and cultic e***enical Christianity in one. Our president embodies this with his Muslim background and favor and yet attendance at a church that preached hatred for the white man.

His kid probably was fed up with seeing how the world is going and got put on meds that drove him to kill himself. I feel bad for the kid, but the father is probably of no help.

Christianity is not a cult of universal acceptance and love. It is not a money making operation. It is simple Judaism through the savior Jesus Christ. Everyone has a chance to get in, but not everyone should or would get in. You have to meet the conditions.

Why do you need a purpose driven life? Shouldn't you have a God driven life? If you are led by the Holy Spirit, no one knows where you come from or where you are going? How can you set your own purpose? Do you know more than God?

If you place your hope in a cult, you will feel suicidal. Mind control does that. Sometimes it backfires. The mind that can't be controlled and yet has no structure ends up running amok.

These pastors that try to make life seem so great and easy are selling you a lot of baloney.

Suzy Q

To the Pastor Hate supporters and other codependents and uneducated enablers.

This is TMZ. It's a GOSSIP site. If you want piety and conformity, go the the Pastor of Hate's website, or a memorial site.

That is NOT the function of this article.

And everytime an ignorant dependent personality tells me to "shut up", and angel gets his wings.

August

I guess that "PRAYING" thingy doesn't work.....

RedskinsGirl21

So sad, may he RIP.
Just heartbreaking.

Vivian

The church's statement was written and approved by the father to absolve him of any responsibility as a father and a spiritual leader. Saying he suffered from birth from mental illness and suicidal thoughts is absurd. The father should be ashamed that he constructed a statement more concerned with his own reputation than remembering his son. So pathetic and disengenuous.

hammonator62

I personally do not know Rick Warren but was given his book when I was going through a VERY difficult time in my life. This book absolutely turned my life around and I found my PURPOSE..I am now working for a center that deals with MHMR and know first hand what a terrible disease mental illness is! My condolences go out to the Warren family and I hope none of you have to experience a family member with mental health issues!!!

ashley

So terribly sad! The pain & agony the family is going through must be awful!
My heart hurts for them!

JMP

God didnt save him?

Cricket

I'm not a reader of Mr. Warren, but I hate hearing of parents burying their child. My condolences to the family.

ylie

The comments on this site are incredibly mean and thoughtless. I pray that you all never know the agony of losing a child, no matter how it comes about. Instead of berating his father why not just offer your condolences?

the man

Just more proof that god doesn't exist. You can build a church for him. You can pray to him. You can live your life for him. If he existed he would have saved this gay boy.

randy

Is he one of those Christians that believes that you go to hell no matter what if you commit suicide? If so, that sucks for him.

CelebJustice

How incredibly sad. Uplifting thoughts and prayers to family and friends. RIP

Buck Boy

Rick Warren has always leveled out at a 7.3 on my Gaydary but Matthew was way higher.
Daddy going to profit from it just as soon as he can. Probably on the phone with Joe Jackson.

Odd that people buy life improvement books from people who can't even keep their own children alive.

rick warren probably doesn't know how to wipe his own azz.

SmartStarsLOL

The evidence here is that truth always offends the evil ones. Very sad commentary on those who demand "tolerance" but hate anything Christian.