Annette Funicello

Legendary Mouseketeer

Dead at 70

4/8/2013 11:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0408_annette_funicello_01

Annette Funicello -- the undisputed queen of the "Mickey Mouse Club" -- has died, according to Disney's official fan club Twitter. She was 70.

Funicello was a triple threat -- Mouseketeer, pop singer and bigscreen star. She was huge in the 60's with movies like "Beach Party," Bikini Beach," and "Beach Blanket Bingo."

According to "Extra," Annette had been hospitalized in Bakersfield due to complications from multiple sclerosis and had been in a coma.

Funicello disclosed in 1992 that she suffered from multiple sclerosis. She lost the ability to walk in 2004, could no longer speak by 2009 and required round-the-clock care.

040813_annette_mmc_launch
Annette was bigger than Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake and Ryan Gosling combined. She was the fantasy -- largely because of her breasts -- of millions of teenage boys.

Paul Anka -- who dated Annette way back in the day -- tells TMZ, "She was a lovely lady. She was a great star. It's a very very sad ending."

040813_paul_anka_launch
Frankie Avalon -- who starred with Funicello in a bunch of those 60's beach movies -- tells us, "She was a very courageous gal that fought and fought and fought ... I'm devastated. I loved this gal." Click below to hear the interview.

040813_frankie_avalon_audio_launch
Back in 2011, Annette's house caught on fire. She managed to escape without serious injury ... but her neighbors later sued Funicello claiming the blaze caused damage to surrounding homes.

040813_annette_bb_launch
0408_Annette_Funicello_footer_v3

Pringle62

Why do they have to mention "because of her breasts" in the article. Can't we keep it clean even for Annette Funicello???

Rider

When I didn't have a job they let me drive them around god bless Annette and Glen from KP with love

senior citizen

Oh, my. Annette deserved a better article than this. Sometimes TMZ isn't as clever at it think.

mroldschool

R.I.P.

Sunny

She was everything Disney stood for in those days. Clean, pure, integrity and class. This is a great loss and she will be missed by all of us.
TMX Your sick people and your unnecessary comment expresses clearly how things have changed from good to sick

Shannon

Fell in love with her the first time I saw her on the MMC. Every girl wanted to be her and every guy wanted to be with her. The perfect girl..perfect lady!You can dance once again.Thank You! I will miss you!!

Gargamel

RIP angel.

shamus500mag

Actually feel sorry for the staff at TMZ and the "boobs" who make those rediculous comments. You are the REAL losers. You'll never know what a REAL star is and how a true lady handles herself.

jvinylman

So...she is liked for her breats ? What idiots we have reporting nowdays. She was a pretty woman period. And yes...woman have breats. Do we have teenage idiots reporting ? They dodn't seem to know very much about her. Not so uch talk about her recording history. Grow up you patheic exuses for reporters.

Debbie

She was a very good looking gal up to the day she died. She was beautiful inside and out...loved her movies.

Barbara

R.I.P..You were always one of my favorite stars. I can always remember you and Frankie together. May God Bless you. My condolence to the family.

Phil

Rest in peace Sweet Princess, you're a lot tougher than you looked.

Ralph

I remember Annette Funicello. She was the most adorable Mouseketeer , she had a lovely singing voice and she was the focal point in all her movies. I'm sorry to hear that she was so sick towards the end. There is no one today quite like her. We will miss her.

THECHUCKSTER

DUH---Margaret Thatcher DIED!!!

It's Dave

She shall indeed be missed. And please join me in sending out a prayer to all the folks living with MS and to their families as well.

Previous 15 Comments | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments