Annette Funicello

Legendary Mouseketeer

Dead at 70

4/8/2013 11:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0408_annette_funicello_01

Annette Funicello -- the undisputed queen of the "Mickey Mouse Club" -- has died, according to Disney's official fan club Twitter. She was 70.

Funicello was a triple threat -- Mouseketeer, pop singer and bigscreen star. She was huge in the 60's with movies like "Beach Party," Bikini Beach," and "Beach Blanket Bingo."

According to "Extra," Annette had been hospitalized in Bakersfield due to complications from multiple sclerosis and had been in a coma.

Funicello disclosed in 1992 that she suffered from multiple sclerosis. She lost the ability to walk in 2004, could no longer speak by 2009 and required round-the-clock care.

040813_annette_mmc_launch
Annette was bigger than Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake and Ryan Gosling combined. She was the fantasy -- largely because of her breasts -- of millions of teenage boys.

Paul Anka -- who dated Annette way back in the day -- tells TMZ, "She was a lovely lady. She was a great star. It's a very very sad ending."

040813_paul_anka_launch
Frankie Avalon -- who starred with Funicello in a bunch of those 60's beach movies -- tells us, "She was a very courageous gal that fought and fought and fought ... I'm devastated. I loved this gal." Click below to hear the interview.

040813_frankie_avalon_audio_launch
Back in 2011, Annette's house caught on fire. She managed to escape without serious injury ... but her neighbors later sued Funicello claiming the blaze caused damage to surrounding homes.

040813_annette_bb_launch
0408_Annette_Funicello_footer_v3

The Deacon

RIP Thank you for the many years of entertainment. BEACH BLANKET BINGO, a cult classic.

Kelly

There must be a lot of ex-alcoholics on here. Who cares if they mention her boobs? What's written is true. Will we have to censor Dolly's obit so as not to mention boobs? Also, if you survive a fire do you not escape, even if you're carried out like a bag?

tremers

RIP

JERRY BUNER

DISNEYS ORIGINAL SWEETHEART! RIP

LeeInOceanside

She was my first love......at age 4.

Bear King of the Dead Thread Heads (and he means it)

Rest In Peace Annette......

myopinion

I remember her in the Beach Party movies I loved watching those movies as a kid! may she rest in peace!

Jimmy

The Icon of the Baby Boomer Generation has left us. Annette was everything good for those who experienced her radiance. Hopefully, her suffering is now over and she brings new joy to all the Angels in Heaven. Thank you, Annette, from the bottom of my heart. REST IN PEACE, dear Mousketeer.

pattycake

So sad

Proud2bBlack

R.I.P. Annette the most beautiful girl on t.v. I use to always wish she was my best friend as a little girl. Such a sweet person. Loved you on Mickey Mouse Club

Dink

Annette was popular but not for her breasts alone. She was cute and sweet and that's why the guys dug her! R.I.P. Annette.

Elizabeth

Very surprised to hear of Annette's passing. She was a great lady and brought much happiness to the world with her television career and her personality.'

TJ

Used to rush home from school to watch MICKEY MOUSE CLUB, everyday. Annette was always the prettiest, sweet one. Who would have thought she would get MS? Shows you never know what life is going to hand you. SAD news for all. Appreciate today,because tomorrow is uncertain.

Blonde Ambition

She's free of her earthly misery now ... Annette could rock a swimsuit better than so many chicas today. My Ma & I adored her through the decades. RIP, you Pineapple Princess!

Herb

There goes my dream girl.