Britney Spears

Annette Funicello's Passing

'Is Great'

4/8/2013 1:21 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0408_britney_videoMaybe she hadn't heard the news, maybe she didn't understand the question, or maybe she's just a coldhearted person who hates awesome people ... but when we asked Britney Spears today about the passing of Annette Funicello, she took a moment, smiled, and said, "I think that's great!"

Funicello, the most famous original member of Mickey Mouse Club, passed away today at the age of 70 ... so asking Britney, the most famous modern member, about her death made complete sense.

Britney's answer, however, made none.

update_bar
1:30 PM PT -- Britney just tweeted, "Misheard a question I was asked earlier by press while I was out and about. I am DEVASTATED to hear about the passing of Annette Funicello ... She was a role model for me during my days as a Mouseketeer."

Coupe09

Lol BRITNEY...

truthiness

BS does not have the brains God gave gnat.

Kàt

wow, I can't believe the number of people out here, that have never ever misunderstood a question before. You people are amazing, and Ms.Spears must be an idiot. Oh wait, I've got that wrong. Mega millionaire girl must be doing something right,and has so much more heart than most of you.

LISA

I can't believe TMZ would write an article like this, even if she meant it - which she clearly did NOT.

Did no one pick up on how out of character or inappropriate that reply was? Why not 'confirm' her answer BEFORE hand? It's disrespectful to Annette and Britney. Who asks 'what do you THINK' ... when someone passes away? It should have been, 'Have you HEARD Annette passed away.'

Danielle123

I think that's the standard response to anything pap's ask. Have none of you ever misunderstood something and laughed anyway? Or replied with a "Yea"? It's the same thing here. She figured she could slip away with the standard response, however, the question today was not the usual random question asked by the TMZ photogs.

sophiastormy

What did she hear then?? Annette passed gas?

spectator72

Hey Britney how do you like your vacation here on mars ?

It's great I just love it here and I can shop everyday at Costco's

mistybone

she is alow class mron

well, of course, its sad.! , I think she was being that way to a question that was very stupid to begin with.
its sad that another woman dies that I hadn't had sex with.!!

Karen Solo

She's a bigger idiot then I thought she was. I hope she has an apology or an explanation.

Jonathan

She did not hear the question. She is so deaf from being a pop star. Leave poor britney alone... she's a little dumb, yeah... she was, and in my mind, will always be, "a lot sexy." and although the music wasn't great.. some of the tracks like, "stronger," and "hit me baby one more time," were really fun...

zman

I'm not really a Britney fan, but It's obvious that she didn't hear the question....and she apologized...so let's just leave it at that.

krasovitz

What's the Mickey Mouse Club.... another gay innuendo?

Tracey

Asking someone how they feel about someone else's passing is just stupid!

jus do it

R.i.p great women will b missed