Ashley Judd

Religious Beliefs Mocked

By KY Senator's Staff

4/9/2013 10:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0409_ashley_mitch_01
Ashley Judd's view of God is a joke ... laughable ... this according to Sen. Mitch McConnell's staff which was caught on tape mocking Judd's views on God during a February strategy session.

The discussion took place during a "Know Your Enemy" meeting ... in which Team McConnell discusses the ammo they'd have against Judd in case she runs for McConnell's seat. McConnell's voice can be heard during parts of the recording.

At one point, someone plays a recording of Judd describing her religious beliefs:

"I still choose the God of my understanding as the God of my childhood. I have to expand my God concept from time to time, and you know particularly I enjoy native faith practices, and have a very nature-based God concept. I'd like to think I'm like St. Francis in that way. Brother Donkey, Sister Bird."

One of McConnell's staffers can be heard laughing ... saying, "Brother Donkey, Sister Bird!"

Another staffer laughs and says, "The people at Southeast Christian [Church] would take to the streets with pitchforks."

During the session, the McConnell team also discusses Judd's mental health history.

One staffer tells Mitch -- "She's clearly ... this sounds extreme ... but she is emotionally unbalanced."

"I mean -- it's been documented,” the aide says. The campaign “can go in chapter and verse from her autobiography about, you know, she's suffered some suicidal tendencies. She was hospitalized for 42 days when she had a mental breakdown in the 90s."

Judd is also described as "anti-sort-of-traditional American family."

It's clear from the audio tape, McConnell's team doesn't feel threatened at all by Judd -- in fact, it sounds like they viewed her potential political run as a joke.

The audio was posted by lefty mag Mother Jones ... which also released the infamous “47%” video that torpedoed Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign.

But the GOP strategy plot was all for naught -- Judd recently announced she would NOT be running for office after all.

As for Team McConnell -- his campaign team isn’t happy the audio leaked out -- and is asking the feds to investigate. Said campaign manager Jesse Benton: "Watergate-style tactics to bug campaign headquarters are above and beyond.”

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

bigdaddyjr915

FIRST!!!

Zavier

I'd rather have ashley judd's belief's than some christian shariah hound. Honestly the fact that your religion matters to people outside of your church is ridiculous.

When are we actually going to get separation of church and state? If the church wants their opinion heard in the government I say they pay taxes.

I doubt she bugged him, my first though would be someone in my staff eff'd me over, and because he's so christian he couldn't think of someone on his side effing him over.

RoadRig

she doesn't age well at all...

inawe1010

They were right.
Please....if someone standing to the right of her said something about brother donkey, sister bird"...and all the other wacky doodle crap she spews, the lamestream media would be mocking them IN THE NEWS! Face it, she's wacky - they were right. All assessments were right.

Liz

And you think Democrats aren't having opposition research ("Know Your Enemy') meetings? They all do it. And Judd never would have run once she figured out how boring being a Senator can be - I never thought she'd travel around the state going to every breakfast and lunch for every little group in Kentucky.

Maggie

Sorry, but Brother Donkey and Sister Bird is laughable. It's not like this audio will hurt him in KY since most people would agree with that.

Rob Zombie is King

Oh rightttt, SHE'S emotionally imbalanced. Right-winged, religious nuts are the worst.

Cat

I think Ashley should absolutely run now! That guys an idiot for saying that!!!! He's just playing low down dirty pool cuz he knows f she runs she would win!

lcmb

LOL @ "Brother Donkey and Sister Bird".

They can discuss her if they want. But of course, for liberal TMZ, we better make it about how evil Republicans are.

mrharrybawls2012

All the Judds are crazy. The big fat one, the mother who is a major drama queen, and now poor Ashley. But we wish them luck in their struggles.

robert

Everyone knows that God exists. He created Adam an Eve and they had Cain and Able who went on to create all of humanity........ahh..wait a minute.

madcookie

This guy Mitch would say and do anything, look at his face like a darn building brick, he is a racist pig and for him to laugh at her is crazy

Quinn

Darn it! I guess he didn't get the memo that says you can only make fun of Catholics and Christians.

Jasper

Why would anyone think she could win in place like Kentucky, with an avowed racist like Rand Paul already in the Senate.

lcmb

I see this article has brought out the open-minded liberals who are So So tolerant, as long as it doesn't have to do with anything Christian.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments