« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe Bryant Rants

Time to Hang 'Em Up?

4/13/2013 12:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0413-kobe-bryant-getty
Kobe Bryant is terrified his playing career is over -- after tearing his Achilles -- and he's so PISSED about it ... he couldn't stop himself from venting in an emotional, rambling Facebook post.

The Lakers superstar was up at 3:30AM nursing the injury he suffered in last night's game ... when he started railing, "This is such BS! All the training and sacrifice just flew out the window with one step that I've done millions of times! The frustration is unbearable. The anger is rage."

Kobe was so upset he even hinted at retirement, saying ... "Maybe I should break out the rocking chair and reminisce on the career that was. Maybe this is how my book ends. Maybe Father Time has defeated me..."

But in the middle of the post ... the Black Mamba recaptures his competitive edge and says he's looking for the "silver lining" and wants to get back to work with the "same drive and same conviction."

Best of all ... Kobe quotes the Jay-Z lyric -- "If you see me in a fight with a bear, prey [sic] for the bear". Ive always loved that quote. Thats 'mamba mentality' we don't quit, we don't cower, we don't run. We endure and conquer."

There's a lot more in the post, including how much pain he's in ... and prepping for surgery.

Kobe's full Facebook post:

"This is such BS! All the training and sacrifice just flew out the window with one step that I've done millions of times! The frustration is unbearable. The anger is rage. Why the hell did this happen ?!? Makes no damn sense. Now I'm supposed to come back from this and be the same player Or better at 35?!? How in the world am I supposed to do that??

I have NO CLUE. Do I have the consistent will to overcome this thing? Maybe I should break out the rocking chair and reminisce on the career that was. Maybe this is how my book ends. Maybe Father Time has defeated me...Then again maybe not! It's 3:30am, my foot feels like dead weight, my head is spinning from the pain meds and I'm wide awake. Forgive my Venting but what's the purpose of social media if I won't bring it to you Real No Image?? Feels good to vent, let it out. To feel as if THIS is the WORST thing EVER! Because After ALL the venting, a real perspective sets in. There are far greater issues/challenges in the world then a torn achilles. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, find the silver lining and get to work with the same belief, same drive and same conviction as ever.

One day, the beginning of a new career journey will commence. Today is NOT that day.

"If you see me in a fight with a bear, prey for the bear". Ive always loved that quote. Thats "mamba mentality" we don't quit, we don't cower, we don't run. We endure and conquer.

I know it's a long post but I'm Facebook Venting LOL. Maybe now I can actually get some sleep and be excited for surgery tomorrow. First step of a new challenge.

Guess I will be Coach Vino the rest of this season. I have faith in my teammates. They will come thru.

Thank you for all your prayers and support. Much Love Always.

Mamba Out"0413_kobe_bryant_footer For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

StevenB

Look at that picture - none of the players seem to care enough about him as a human being to offer any support or even look concerned. Karma.

Truth

WAH-WAH... BOO-HOO!! STFU ALREADY. TONS OF PEEPS EVERY DAY GET THIS INJURY AND DONT RANT LIKE A 3 YR OLD MEGA SELF-ENTITLED CHEATING BALL BOY. PROOF HE'S NOW ***** WHIPPED. VANESSA SLICED HIS BALLS OFF. POINT BLANK!! #TRUTH!!

Bob

Yet another reason why Kobe will never be as good as Jordon - MJ's strict conditioning, training, and awareness on the court allowed him to avoid any serious injuries during his career. Kobe not so much.

bigdaddyjr915

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..**** KOBE!!!!..

jordii

What goes around comes around. He's a cheating, lying no good human being and now he is getting exactly what he deserves; NOT his own way. Who cares.

bernergirl

At least he didn't fall down and have his shin break in half... Quit whining Kobe!

nickew515

Celtics fan here and I love watching Kobe's intensity on the court. Seen him play a few finals games at the garden in person and it was awesome to be entertained by him. Now off the court I could care less bout the man. Did he **** the chick with schizophrenia when she said no? I do not know and I'm sure Kobe does not know either

Mack_D

I b the ex Rutgers coach is laughing!

HAHAHA

Kobe... if you get in a fight with a bear you will die. I know it's really hard to realize that up on your pedestal there but the reality is that you are just a human.

Cinner

Kevin ware's injury was WAY worse and he hasn't whined at all, he has been upstanding and professional and positive. Kobe is acting like a whiney baby. Its sickening.

nof

Dude, so so sorry -

-Unbelievably God-awful.

-If it were anbody but you - we'd all be worried.

-But since it's you, the greatest of all time -

-The guts of the league?

...Tomorrow morning at Church?

- we pray for the bear.

Jenn

I actually really think this guy is dangerous. Like, a crazed ticking time bomb. When he doesn't have a sport to use to work off his aggression, he is going to hurt somebody (again).

nof

May the Lord reward Kobe, Vanessa & Family.

For all they've given Los Angeles.

May Kobe be back on Opening Day -

Just mind-blowing - cannot wrap head around it.

Changes the complexion of the play-offs -

The team of course.

The entire NBA - including ABC/ESPN.

I'm horrified.

ray

If he did in fact tear his tendon, he IS done. you're talking at least a year for full recovery, if full recovery is even possible.

windytimes

Be done with you Kobe....go away!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments