'American Idol'

JLo WILL Return

Asked to Replace Mariah

4/24/2013 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0424-jennifer-lopez-mariah-carey-AI
Jennifer Lopez
has been approached by Fox execs to return to "American Idol" for the balance of the season ... to replace Mariah Carey ... sources connected with the network confirm to TMZ.

We've learned Lopez will appear on the now ratings-challenged show on May 16 to debut her new single, but Fox has bigger ideas -- they want to stop the hemorrhaging quickly and bring the former judge back on the show.  The Hollywood Reporter first posted the story that JLo could be returning.

And the show is in trouble.  Last week's ratings were the worst since the show debuted in 2002.

Sources tell us Fox is scrambling to find a solution, and ironically they think Lopez could be the answer.  We say ironically because network execs would not ante up the cash JLo wanted to stay on the show this season.

We're told as of now ... no deal has been made.

UPDATE:  A Fox spokesperson tells TMZ ... "This is just another ridiculous "Idol" judge rumor, likely started by talks of Jennifer performing on the finale."

msmoeliss

I just don't like nicki. She seems really strange to me, the deer in headlights stare and goofy weird facial expressions she makes. I don't know she's just a bit odd to me. I don't watch A.I. anymore its been years, but Mariah has far more experience anyway she is better suited to give advice even if she is a b**chy diva.

Areader

Yawn.....Yahoo music had this story yesterday!

Sara

I think Mariah is doing just fine it's Nicki Minaj who needs her annoying bossy ass out of that show

Terri

loved J-lo when she was on Idol...
I think it is craziness that they want to blame Mariah for the ratings dropping.. all anyone has to do is check out American Idols page on fb and they will see literally thousands of comments from people who cannot stand Nikki.. have watched the show for years myself and she just ruins the whole experience from her potato head/barbie make up, to her rolling eyeballs and then the stupid comments and pet names.. She makes a person want to throw something at their tv... lol

LAPartyMcSage

In the good old days talent shows used to be about the contestants and not the judges.

sophiastormy

This show is finished. Time to hang it up.

Kay

Nicki Minaj is the one they need to get rid of she is awful! Her speaking voice is like nails on a chalkboard

robocop

Get rid of Seacrest. Why the hell are they paying $20 million for that little twerp with zero talent and no personality! He spends an inordinate amount of time propping up his hair to make him look taller.

LindaJay

I was so hoping that I had seen the last of this tired, fake chick. She ain't no fun...are you kiddin' me??!! Did you even call Paula? Oh, love Randy and Keith.

Amy

GET RID OF NICKI! She is low class and I feel embarrased for her whenever she opens her mouth! She is a disgrace for Idol. She is inappropriate more than once, on EVERY show! Mariah has talent, she has sold over 200 million records worldwide and won multiple awards and she gives advice like a singer of her caliber should. Even she can't stand Nicki! Come on Idol wake up!

madman-stephan

What did Nikki minaj say on A.I. that was bleeped out?

Jan

I have always enjoyed this show and the talent but this year has been extremely disappointing. The singers are great but the judges leave a lot to be desired. You can tell who they want voted off each week. They are much more negative in their critique of the singer they want gone.

KayQ

Truth is-Middle America didn't like the top 5 guys that the judges put in because they were all gay, sadly this is how society is right now. Also they put through Lazaro soley because he had a speech problem but his singing voice was not very good and it started to be a joke. Also when there demographic is over 50% white people and they have 3 black judges then who's to blame? And Mariah and Nicki on the live shows have only spoken like one time, so they just don't mix well, it makes the show awkward.

AV

Sources close to Jlo say Jlo big "Ass" stinks, smells like she be fating all day, how cross??????

Wil