'American Idol'

JLo WILL Return

Asked to Replace Mariah

4/24/2013 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0424-jennifer-lopez-mariah-carey-AI
Jennifer Lopez
has been approached by Fox execs to return to "American Idol" for the balance of the season ... to replace Mariah Carey ... sources connected with the network confirm to TMZ.

We've learned Lopez will appear on the now ratings-challenged show on May 16 to debut her new single, but Fox has bigger ideas -- they want to stop the hemorrhaging quickly and bring the former judge back on the show.  The Hollywood Reporter first posted the story that JLo could be returning.

And the show is in trouble.  Last week's ratings were the worst since the show debuted in 2002.

Sources tell us Fox is scrambling to find a solution, and ironically they think Lopez could be the answer.  We say ironically because network execs would not ante up the cash JLo wanted to stay on the show this season.

We're told as of now ... no deal has been made.

UPDATE:  A Fox spokesperson tells TMZ ... "This is just another ridiculous "Idol" judge rumor, likely started by talks of Jennifer performing on the finale."

GC

Please get rid of Nikkimouse... And bring Jlo.....

zhe

Actually AI doesnt need a new judge in my opinion...think the root causes 1. musical arrangement (they need a new stage director) compare to VOICE is way better (stage, lights) American idol is boring 2. New Ideas how the program runs compare to VOICE they have a greater fresh ideas compare to OLD program line up AI. 3. The AI should let the contestant expresses their ideas on designing their own stage (performance...thats a real artist) This is the only season I never skip any single episode coz of Mariah. Maybe some people dont understand what mariah's saying coz she talks in her technical terms (we know shes a vocal coach , music director herself and musician). Lastly, The AI shouldnt focus more on judge lol focus on ur contestant and not even their drama story...

zhe

taylorl373

I have been disinterested for this entire season. They made a big deal about not having a female win in so long that what they did was choose semi-talented to non-talented guys to go up against these fabulous women. They are great but there just isn't enough diverse talent. If they would have kept it the way things were then I would be more interested and I am sure others would have been as well.

burning_plastic

The ones at fault? The producers. Mariah is a huge star but she needed people around her she felt comfortable with. That isn't Nicki's fault, either. She is obviously a huge star herself, and she needs to be comfortable, too.
There are a lot of reasons why ratings are falling. When the show started the three judges were all professionals who had worked with some huge egos, They had all worked behind the scenes and had to compromise. Well, Mariah hasn't has to compromise for a long time. When they gave her that much money they built expectations sky-high. The show is old and would naturally be fading.
The chemistry and even the meanness and hurt feelings between Simon and Paula were perfect chemistry and you can't just buy that. Randy was there to ground the whole thing and keep it moving forward like a good bassist should. lol
But that is the problem. It's not Mariah's fault and if some exec is trying to pin it on her so he doesn't lose his job she should sue.

~catty~

These types of shows (AI, The Voice) are all passé.....old news....crrrrapola. Kandi Burress' show, The Kandi Factory has a fresh take on the whole thing. She and her 'krew' (lol) pick a couple of nobodies who have the potential to be molded into a pop star...they spend a week mentoring the contestants (makeover, studio time, choreography, etc...) and Kandi picks the winner. Maybe step it up a little, pick 5-6 people and spend a couple months working with them.....I don't know....Kandi Factory is MUCH easier to watch than AI or The Voice imho-mainly because there aren't any giant egos everywhere. Just sayin'......

Knowledge Seeker

I think that American Idol should consider reorganizing their entire presentation if their ratings are falling off the grid. Jennifer coming back on the show is not going to be a big enough difference in my opinion. I think it’s awesome to watch new talent and I’ve enjoyed every season, so it’s lame that when I get home from my job at DISH the show is over. To get my creative weekly fix, I put DISH Anywhere on my tablet, so I can easily access all my live and recorded programming even if I’m away from my home. Staying home from work to watch the youth of America sing isn’t practical, but I can jazz up my lunch break while I catch up on my shows.

T Rosen

The problem isn't the judges... the problem is the length of the season!! their show drags on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on. And on.

PhoenixFuller

Please, please, please get rid of Nicki!!!

loe

The execs are stupid enough to think changing a judge will make it work. Mariah is better than JLo! She has more qualification than J Lo, better songs than J Lo. Maybe J costs less but that hardly save the show. It is the end of karaoke dreams, that happened in Asia, specially Japan. Shows just stopped because of ratings or support and not because of a judge. The show should be less frequent in order to find real good singers not one hit (some no hit) wonders.

Just My Opinion

Is this the show that has the blonde hair chick that has skunk running through the middle of her head, and talks worse than The Nanny? If so, get rid of her and put JLo. in.

LB

Both of these b*tches suck!

shrri.schifano

The problem isn't Mariah... It's Nikki. She, her outfits, nicknames and thinking her **** don't stink is too much. AI has a big fan base in the older community also... And I'm sure they don't understand her or her crazy wannabe accent. Ugh.

paul a.

Used to love AI but like all things in life, it's time to move on.

Nothing about the show interests me anymore.....

ladydiinpa

Idol is phony; as Clay Aiken said a few months ago; it became more about the judges then the talent; judges are paid millions what a waste; I refuse to watch I do not care who are the judges;;;;: TEAM VOICE!!