'American Idol'

JLo WILL Return

Asked to Replace Mariah

4/24/2013 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0424-jennifer-lopez-mariah-carey-AI
Jennifer Lopez
has been approached by Fox execs to return to "American Idol" for the balance of the season ... to replace Mariah Carey ... sources connected with the network confirm to TMZ.

We've learned Lopez will appear on the now ratings-challenged show on May 16 to debut her new single, but Fox has bigger ideas -- they want to stop the hemorrhaging quickly and bring the former judge back on the show.  The Hollywood Reporter first posted the story that JLo could be returning.

And the show is in trouble.  Last week's ratings were the worst since the show debuted in 2002.

Sources tell us Fox is scrambling to find a solution, and ironically they think Lopez could be the answer.  We say ironically because network execs would not ante up the cash JLo wanted to stay on the show this season.

We're told as of now ... no deal has been made.

UPDATE:  A Fox spokesperson tells TMZ ... "This is just another ridiculous "Idol" judge rumor, likely started by talks of Jennifer performing on the finale."

Meow

I agree that Nicki is not exactly qualified to be a judge but at least her comments are entertaining once and a while. I like Mariah but yeesh she just rambles on and on trying to think of something to say and makes no sense half the time. I actually watch the show unlike most of these people commenting I'm sure. Oh and I like Keith and Randy is annoying.

shabbs69

My guess would be if you get rid of the ugly looking thing that looks like she got hit square in the face with a 2x4 along with Mariah you might have better luck getting your ratings back up!

STFUP

They're dumping the WRONG judge. It's Minaj who's putting the ratings in the toilet!

Promisedland007

The only idols I know are Kelly clarkson, Jordan sparks

Phoenix

He show died when Taylor Hicks won. Let it go.

Eric

When I hear Mariah speak or critique, I feel I'm listen to Sarah Palin speak.... total idiot! I don't care for JLo, yet she was good for the show and helful tocontestants.
At least MInaj gives accurate, helpful and professional critiques and advice!

Jen

Put this show out of our misery already X (

janet

Can't this show just die already.

IndyMike

Zzzz zzzzz zzzzz zzzz

DudeLebowski

Get rid of the two bimbos and Randy too. Here are my choices for judges for the next season-David Lee Roth, Mick Jagger, Willie Nelson and Stevie Nicks....

August

That show's still on?

Skabotch

Good move Idol. She is not appealing. She has a fabulous voice, however she is not a good fit as a Host. She is also too much of a Diva. Take your demands and head for home girl.
Also the main reason my Wife and I no longer watch Idol is because of Nikki Minaj. CANNOT stand her. Eliminate Nikki & Mariah and we will be back watching again.

watchnomore

I have watched from season 1 until this year. I have no desire to watch witchie (Nikky). If the show went away tomorrow I wouldn't miss it.

BellaJ

Does anyone actually watch AI anymore? It had a good run but I think it should have gone off the air when Simon left.

Naomi

If anybody needs to be replaced its that nasty girl with the chiclets teeth..shes the reason the show is doing horribly!!