Tyler Perry Sued

Writer Actually WANTS

Credit for 'Temptation'

4/25/2013 4:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0425_tyler_perry_temptation_tmzTyler Perry's 'Temptation' has been called everything from "beyond dumb" to "flamboyantly bad" -- yet a small-time screenwriter is suing, claiming Perry jacked the universally panned script from him.

It's the classic Hollywood sob story ... a man from Gary, Ind., says Perry stole his idea for "Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor," which didn't wow critics, but did rake in $49 million.

In the suit, William James says the plot is similar to "Lovers Kill," which he wrote in 2009. The lawsuit is light on details ... it just says both films center on a married couple ... the wife is tempted by another man, and the affair ruins the marriage.

Apparently James hasn't seen "Unfaithful" ... "Legends of the Fall" ...  "The English Patient" -- need we go on?

But here's the best part: James doesn't even know for sure that Perry ever saw his screenplay -- in the suit, he claims he gave a copy to "an associate" of Oprah Winfrey, hoping it would make it to Perry.

Reps for Perry and Lionsgate ... the movie distributor, also named in the suit ... had no comment.

Madea couldn't be reached, but we're hoping she'd say, "Hellerrr!" ... if she picked up our call.

Smooth Criminal

Most of the people calling Tyler movies crappy are the same ones who find Adam Sandler pictures funny.

phyllis green

It's about time somebody calls him out, after all I noticed a scene from "Diary of a mad black woman" was practically identical to a scene from "an officer and a gentleman"

mzconfident

Who cares... Tyler P has made his doe and Kim K. made hers by being a hoe so enough said.

Kiki

To me this guy is so egotistical he has to put his name in front of every movie he makes. It's annoying, who does that...For that reason alone I would never watch his crap.

gigi

hellerr! this is funny and sad. tyler perry should make a madea response for tmz over the phone

LINUS914

The movie was horrible and it damn near promoted rape as acceptable. The plot has been done a million times and it will be done a million more times...and probably still SUCK!!! You want the credit for that SHIZM...take it.

LINUS914

...additionally, TP sold his soul to the DEVIL by giving Kim K a part in the movie. Nice try...but that told me to avoid the movie. #Desperation

...and REALLY??? Vanessa Williams with a french accent. WOW...just quit movies now and stick to slap-stick Madea.

Kahbe

There are a ton of movies like Perry's latest film, so the due is just swinging in the dark to me. To name on that I feel like is similar to both of theirs is Cover. A film done in 2007 in which the husband has affairs with other men and that ruins the family. Plus she catches a venereal from her husband due to his messing around. Perry's is only a few steps away from this too me. Tell me if I am wrong.

dwjaxsun

I sued Tyler Perry for the same movie. I know he stole from me and he has "bitten" me before. He got ideas from my book Is Love War which is about a man and a woman that meet under terrible cir***stances and find love. Some celebs can and will steal and they will get arrogant about it. They try to embarrass and humiliate you. I dropped the case because it would have been tried in Fulton County(Atlanta) and that is where I was hauled from Valdosta, Ga when I was falsely arrested a released when I filed a complaint against 2 celebrities. Check out my website at www.derrickwjackson.com

MzHarris

GIGI, you are totally right about a call from Madea addressing the issue. I am a huge fan of Madea, love her. TMZ needs to have more YEA sayers and
less NAY sayers because all the negativity is BORRING!

Phomylife

And now... here is Madea running from the KKK. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDaWVkrQfY

Nowshehere

Ok haters...WHO u work for ....right..

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4