George Jones

DEAD at 81

4/26/2013 11:30 AM PDT UPDATED: 4/26/2013 8:51 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0426_george_jones_02
update_bar
8:51 AM PT --
Country superstar Alan Jackson -- who's known George for years -- tells TMZ ... “Well, heaven better get ready for some great country music."

He adds, "While George was known for his wild and crazy days, I’ve known him for 25 years as a friend. He had grown into a real good man. Of course, he will always be the greatest singer and interpreter of real country music – there’ll never be another."

"Like the song says, ‘You know this old world is full of singers, but just a few are chosen to tear your heart out when they sing. Imagine life without them…Who’s gonna fill their shoes.’”

8:04 AM PT --
George's publicist has released a statement on the singer's passing ... saying, "Today is a sad day for music. George said to me once, 'One day I'll Join the Angel band.' Well, today he did."

The statement continues, "George passed with his family by his side and the official cause of death is being listed as  'Hypoxic Respiratory Failure.'"

FYI -- H.R.F. means the lungs couldn't pump enough oxygen to the rest of the body.

7:44 AM PT --
A family member tells TMZ ... "He has been on oxygen for a long while now and his lungs finally just couldn’t do it anymore and they collapsed and he passed away. He couldn’t breathe anymore on his own."

gray-bar-update
George Jones
... the country music megastar whose heartfelt vocals and close-to-home lyrics defined the genre for generations ... died today.  He was 81.

Jones was hospitalized in Nashville on April 18 for a fever and irregular blood pressure, though the cause of death was not immediately released.

Jones was in the middle of a tour -- which he announced would be his last -- when he fell ill. Several dates had already been canceled.

Jones' towering influence on country music was equaled only by his public persona ... which often imitated the melodrama in his songs ... and was well-chronicled in the tabloids. He was married four times -- once to Tammy Wynette -- and made countless headlines for drinking, stormy romances and violent rages.

But his star-power in country music cannot be overstated. Jones has charted more country hits than any other artist ... "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is perhaps his biggest, but the list of charted hits is around 150.

He was a Grand Ole Opry member, a Kennedy Center Honoree, and was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1992 ... though given how much influence he had on country music ... they might as well have honored him every year.

Jones' first number one hit was "White Lightning" in 1959.

Jones nearly died in a car wreck in 1999, but recovered and kept his career vibrant right up until his death.

He is survived by four children and his fourth wife of 30 years, Nancy.

0426_george_jones_remembering_footer

BeanzGirl

Damn...that's not the news I wanted to start my morning with :'(

Jennifer

This is so sad!!!!
Ever since I was a little girl the only person I ever wanted to see in concert was Geroge Jones and then he came here to Newfoundland and I got tickets for my b-day and it was the best birthday gift I have ever recieved! My favorite song he sang was Choices and I will never forget when he walked onto the stage in a white suit and sang Choice as his first song was just amazing, and something that I will never forget!
RIP

Julie

Even though he was a wild one, I really enjoyed his singing. I'm sorry he is gone. I loved his recording of "The Race Is On".

whitey ford

Rest in Power, Mr. Jones.

HairyLongProng

Finally some good news!! I wish all country music would die..It's lame and all sounds like the same song. Don't forget..This s***bag beat up women...

susan

All the good ones who made country music are leaving us. RIP possum.

EastCoastChopper

Lil Wayne's alter ego! RIP George...

paul

been listing to george for many years what a great singer he sure will be missed RIP George

cliff

No one could do it like George Jones, RIP George.

ashmonstsa

Hairydropdeadprong.. your a piece of ****. Newer country music sounds alot alike.. but the old is good. The world would be a better place without people like you! :)

August

One less ALCOHOLIC DRUNK DRIVER on the planet....

truthteller

Tat ta fella .youll b in good company when you get there . RIP

fran

RIP George...we will miss that amazing voice of yours. I am so happy I have all your music. George you will be missed..Condolences to all his family.

bullj

rip george, you,johnny,conway, w.j. were the best of the best.thanks for all those years of true country music.

JASON BARBER

this is a boldfaced lie because if it were true it would be all over CMT And all over the news