George Jones

DEAD at 81

4/26/2013 11:30 AM PDT UPDATED: 4/26/2013 8:51 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0426_george_jones_02
update_bar
8:51 AM PT --
Country superstar Alan Jackson -- who's known George for years -- tells TMZ ... “Well, heaven better get ready for some great country music."

He adds, "While George was known for his wild and crazy days, I’ve known him for 25 years as a friend. He had grown into a real good man. Of course, he will always be the greatest singer and interpreter of real country music – there’ll never be another."

"Like the song says, ‘You know this old world is full of singers, but just a few are chosen to tear your heart out when they sing. Imagine life without them…Who’s gonna fill their shoes.’”

8:04 AM PT --
George's publicist has released a statement on the singer's passing ... saying, "Today is a sad day for music. George said to me once, 'One day I'll Join the Angel band.' Well, today he did."

The statement continues, "George passed with his family by his side and the official cause of death is being listed as  'Hypoxic Respiratory Failure.'"

FYI -- H.R.F. means the lungs couldn't pump enough oxygen to the rest of the body.

7:44 AM PT --
A family member tells TMZ ... "He has been on oxygen for a long while now and his lungs finally just couldn’t do it anymore and they collapsed and he passed away. He couldn’t breathe anymore on his own."

gray-bar-update
George Jones
... the country music megastar whose heartfelt vocals and close-to-home lyrics defined the genre for generations ... died today.  He was 81.

Jones was hospitalized in Nashville on April 18 for a fever and irregular blood pressure, though the cause of death was not immediately released.

Jones was in the middle of a tour -- which he announced would be his last -- when he fell ill. Several dates had already been canceled.

Jones' towering influence on country music was equaled only by his public persona ... which often imitated the melodrama in his songs ... and was well-chronicled in the tabloids. He was married four times -- once to Tammy Wynette -- and made countless headlines for drinking, stormy romances and violent rages.

But his star-power in country music cannot be overstated. Jones has charted more country hits than any other artist ... "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is perhaps his biggest, but the list of charted hits is around 150.

He was a Grand Ole Opry member, a Kennedy Center Honoree, and was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1992 ... though given how much influence he had on country music ... they might as well have honored him every year.

Jones' first number one hit was "White Lightning" in 1959.

Jones nearly died in a car wreck in 1999, but recovered and kept his career vibrant right up until his death.

He is survived by four children and his fourth wife of 30 years, Nancy.

0426_george_jones_remembering_footer

hopi1958

Love. Ya George

ML

I can respect his talent, but I also remember him being a drunk that beat his wife Tammy Wynette, and she being in such a bad state mentally that she had shock treatment back in the day. I have no place in my world for a "man" that hits women.

rosered80

I got chill bumps when I heard he had passed. His music has been in the country genre since before I was born and his music has a significance to my life. I pray for his family and give George Jones a bow for all he has accomplished in his life. He lived through many trials and made it through and has lived out a long life here on earth. He has touched so many with his music and his life. He will never be forgotten.Mr.Jones is already missed greatly by many people. But his life will live on through his music and memories. Love to Mr. Jones and to his family who are mourning there loss at this time. Our thoughts and prayers are sent out to the family, friends and all his fans.. I bet he is singing with the angels in heaven right now. R.I.P George Jones, King of Country Music.. Live On!

mr.howell

One of the greats, legends like him 'actually' sang!..RIP George!.

Santasunsetwoodica

"When her hair is snowy white time will prove i right". Classic

Santasunsetwoodica

"When her hair is snowy white time will prove im right" classic

Santasunsetwoodica

With the blood from my body i could start my own still....and if drinkin dont kill me her memory will. Classic

Santasunsetwoodica

Tonight the bottle let me down and let your memory come around. Classic

Santasunsetwoodica

Your as warm as a glass of brandy and i stay stoned on your love all the time. Classic

Mee

One of the best country stars, sad to see him go.
Will be missed.
RIP

jfelton

He brought us some great music.

Carl Avery Thomas

George was a legend.

H gave us choices and many more

Monica

It is sad to hear of such a great loss to country music. I grew up listening to all of his great music. My dad and uncle played it all of the time. He will be remembered by, "he stopped loving her today."

natanya

The song " right left hand " is the best! If you have never heard it and you like Golden Rings. You would love this song great version on YouTube.

Just My Opinion

Aw, sad, but he is at peace now, and singing with the Angels in Heaven. Your song... He Stop Loving Her Today, doesn't apply to your fans George, because we will love you forever. R.I.P sweetheart.