« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NBA Star Antawn Jamison

Let's Be Realistic

Not Everyone Will Accept Jason Collins

4/29/2013 4:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

042913_antawn_jamison_launch​Not everyone in the NBA is thrilled about having a gay dude in the league -- in fact, there are definitely some "closed-minded" haters who are gonna have a hard time with Jason Collins ... so says NBA star Antawn Jamison.

The Los Angeles Lakers player was hangin' out in Beverly Hills today when we asked about Jason's big announcement ... and the 36-year-old veteran had a lot to say.

Antawn -- who's been in the league since 1998 -- told us he's glad Jason came out ... and he's happy the guy can "be who he really is."

But Antawn says not everyone feels the same way -- telling us, "Of course, you're going to have some closed-minded people, let's be realistic."

"That's life."

We also asked Antawn about the ass-kicking the Lakers got from the Spurs -- and the guy had a pretty good explanation. Check out the clip.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

SPIDEY

As usual TMZ...even when theres something positive about ANY black celebrity they ALWAYS find a way to turn it into a negative..u guys are something else!

elena berry

OK! I thought I was living in the good old UNITED STATES OF AMERICA where we had this thing called FREEDOM OF SPEECH. But I guess that is not the case since people have to say OH I'M SORRY FOR HAVING MY OWN OPINION OR IT WILL COST THEM THEIR JOBS. I personally really do not care if a person is gay or not that really is none of my business. Cause I have people in my family that are gay and friends it is what it is but if others do not agree I will not judge them because they have a right to believe what they believe. I say let everyone be able to express their own opionions. Let's not condem them for their opionions just as you do not want them condem other's for theirs.

Mrugowsky

Why did this guy wait until the tail end of his career to announce this if it was so important to him? ?? It's not something most people are interested in knowing. And this guy is not exactly a household name.

MIMORTL

two words....ignorant ****....real talk

BradDavis

Queers in the locker room isn't going to work.

lifesabeach

why did he wait until the basketball playoffs to announce that he is gay? JUST SAYIN

Doc

Anybody who thinks being a sissy is normal is nuts. Respect us like you respect them

It's Me

"
Let's Be Realistic
Not Everyone Will Accept Jason Collins

Not everyone has to accept them.

4reallikecomon

This guy waits till his team is done for the year....why didnt he come out during the season or the beginning of the year?...beause he knows hes a free agent who will be 35 when next season starts...hes a marginal bench player...at 35 this guy knows hes done...he just wants everyone to know he was gay while on teams in the NBA...If there was gon be a team that picked him up...it wont happen now....question is,why didnt he come out earlier in the year?...

laffnbear

Says the black fella with the name spelled like an ignorant person who learned. (sort of) English as a second language.

Ginger

I don't care about anyone's sexuality. I'm not interested in anything gay. I also think all this 'coming out' stuff will backfire. JMO

John

IT'S INTERESTING that TMZ won't put any WHITE players in the story about Jason Collins; because, of course, BLACK players are going to be messy about it. White people, including TMZ, are astutely aware of the self-hatred factors within the black community. Of course blacks will criticize blacks: this is not even an issue outside of the black community, or at least not as large.

DEBBIE

There are "gay dudes" in the NFL just not open. Wasn't Roman Gabriel gay? Who really cares? They can still play ball and that's what they are on the team for. How many are humping guys on the field? Give it a rest.

val

Collins is s*** .. not cause he's gay, it is because he had a fiancee who loved him for eight years so he is no hero but a low life liar who used her as cover wasting her life. I hate the guy and so will other players who know he's a fraud. I am sorry for her.. for him, he should walk on the freeway

val