Catherine Zeta-Jones

Enters Treatment Center

For Bipolar Disorder

4/30/2013 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0429_catherine_zeta_jones_getty_article
Catherine Zeta-Jones has checked in to a treatment center to get more help for her Bipolar disorder ... TMZ has learned.

We've learned ... the 43-year-old Academy Award winner checked in to the treatment center Monday ... and is expected to complete a 30-day program.

Sources connected to the actress tell us ... Jones' stint in the treatment center is a proactive measure. As one source puts it, "It's maintenance."

FYI -- Jones completed a stint at a treatment center in 2011 -- at the time, her rep said Catherine had "made the decision to check in to a mental health facility for a brief stay to treat her Bipolar II disorder."

Zeta-Jones was last seen in public on April 22 -- when she hit the red carpet at the 40th Anniversary Chaplin Award Gala at Lincoln Center looking healthy ... with her husband Michael Douglas by her side.

0429_catherine_zeta_jones_sub

Trecee

Bipolar runs in my family and there are hospital type treatment centers for people who are mentally ill. I have 5 members who had to go to that place and were counseled and given the proper medication to help them but one family member is still in there and has been for a long time. It can be 30 days and can be much longer and most of the time it is voluntary to get yourself treated and a lot do. Glad she is getting the help she needs. For a few of my family members its too late. Their minds are already gone.

snowboardchick

Love her. I hope she stays well.

bestintheworld87

Wish her the best

Elizabeth Alan

Interesting to see the polarization of popular reply. ;)

Lora

Rehab for bipolar disorder? Not hardly. Mental illness is not the reason for rehab. Are we to think she'll magically be cured in 30 days? Not hardly, either. Drugs and alcohol are reasons for rehab care.....

Stace.

Dear stupid people. Rehab is a general word for centers that assist with rebuilding ones self medically. Marines do it, addicts do it, people with mental illness do it. They all consist of DIFFERENT programs. Most usually are inpatient.

amazinglybored

Best of luck to her and her family.
People need to find out the definition of rehab/rehabilitation, which is sad.

DeeMaree

I lost a dear friend to this disorder. She was finally successful in killing herself. I'm not over it. I will never be over it. I have buried other people and knew it was their time. It was not her time. She was smart, gorgeous, successful, such a good person and only 30. It was such a waste. Her damn demons got the best of her. I pray Catherine keeps doing any and everything she can to have a quality life.

Me

I've never heard of bipolar maintenance. More than likely, they're trying to get her meds regulated/balanced. Good luck to her.

Dave the Canuck

Good for you Catherine! Do what you have to do to get well. Good luck!

Reese

Is she really 43? I thought she was older. Hope she gets better. That's a terrible disease and it awful for people that live with her and care about her.

Dina

She looks like Demi.

TheEric

I went into treatment and got diagnosed with bipolar disorder earlier this month...the most shocking thing was that it isn't at all what people think it is when they think of bipolar disorder...good for her for going back in for maintance...i hope i'm strong enough and have the support system around me in a few years if i ever need to do the same thing...good for her...

Really

I really like Catherine as an actress and hope she gets whatever help she needs. It takes a strong person to admit to a problem let alone go public so the whole world knows!

Teresa Ducham

Something else is wrong with you.......Xanax.....something.