Catherine Zeta-Jones

Enters Treatment Center

For Bipolar Disorder

4/30/2013 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0429_catherine_zeta_jones_getty_article
Catherine Zeta-Jones has checked in to a treatment center to get more help for her Bipolar disorder ... TMZ has learned.

We've learned ... the 43-year-old Academy Award winner checked in to the treatment center Monday ... and is expected to complete a 30-day program.

Sources connected to the actress tell us ... Jones' stint in the treatment center is a proactive measure. As one source puts it, "It's maintenance."

FYI -- Jones completed a stint at a treatment center in 2011 -- at the time, her rep said Catherine had "made the decision to check in to a mental health facility for a brief stay to treat her Bipolar II disorder."

Zeta-Jones was last seen in public on April 22 -- when she hit the red carpet at the 40th Anniversary Chaplin Award Gala at Lincoln Center looking healthy ... with her husband Michael Douglas by her side.

0429_catherine_zeta_jones_sub

Jackie

Cool...all the best.

ElisabethIsDisgusting

That is the responsible thing to do. Good luck to her.

Paul

Again? What is wrong with this lady?

Nadia Hempel

Why do we need to know what a nouveau riche alcoholic does? she acts and is average although she has been fortunate courtesy of her husband to get good roles.

She is no role model for anyone but a burnt out drunk and drug user who provides no benefit to anyone else but her selfish self.

Look at her pre predecessors' in the job. They end up being wrinkled like dried prunes, ugly overweight and pathetically useless to society.

Easy come easy go. She better give it round to those who have never had it before. At least that way she could claim a useful contribution to humanity.

I celebrate each time I see these harlots and their male counterparts fall. Its always self inflicted bad wounds.

SpitBall

One thing Mr. Douglas can be very proud of is the fact that he is married to an absolutely beautiful woman. I always loved her work and admired her beauty. CZJ is all that and more.

Mrugowsky

It sucks she's continuing to struggle with this illness. I don't think she's that great of an actress but I wish her well nonetheless.

Steve

43 more like 53, who is she kidding.

Josh2013

She just wants 30 days away from grandpa.

messygirl

Oh, so you say she LOOKED healthy last time we saw her. Whew, that's good. Because everyone knows that mood disorders are totally visible.

JMP

Good for her! BD can be a very hard disease to cope with. It is nice to see that she does not hide, because many people are still ashamed to talk about their mental problems. I wish her all the best.

jj

Good for her. She is being proactive regarding her mental illness. Before it gets too out of hand, she recognizes the need to help herself. If more people would accept, admit and acknowledge their illness, we would see less bizarre behaviors, suicides and sometimes violence. Less need to be locked up involuntarily in psychiatric wards or end up in jail or dead. I hope that fact that she is not ashamed of her condition will help others take action rather than hide due to stigma or embarrassment . This is an illness that needs attention as would diabetes that is out of control, cancer, or any other illness that needs to be stabilized. I wish her all the best in her recovery

bewisetoday

wow, so much for HIPPAA regulations and privacy rights for medical conditions, somebody will get canned for this.

Kelly

I'll bet it's been a rough trip through the years for her. Bipolar doesn't get better and stay better when you start taking medication, it's still an up and down thing, Symptoms sometimes submerge and then reappear out of nowhere like acne. It's a roller coaster ride that never ends, good luck to you young lady.

George Spalding

I HATE to be the one to break it to Catherine, but there is NO CURE for Bipolar Disorder. You can not TREAT this unless maybe with "Shock Treatment" like they did to people in the Fifties.

MsMere

It took years of therapy, and medication man agent to get to the point I am at today. I am about to go through my certification to do peer support for other Bipolar people. I've been through cognitive, and dialectical behavioral therapy, BUT I will ALWAYS have a crisis recovery plan. Bipolar Disorder is not a disease to be cured. It's an illness to be managed. Kudos Mrs. Zeta Jones! You are a very courageous woman!