« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Active NBA Player

Jason Collins

I'M GAY

4/29/2013 8:18 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0428_jason_collins_01

Washington Wizards center Jason Collins -- who's been playing in the NBA since 2001 -- has revealed he's gay ... making him the first major active American male pro athlete to come out of the closet .

Collins revealed the news in an article for Sports Illustrated ... saying, "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay."

He continued, "I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation."

Collins -- and his twin brother Jarron -- have been high profile athletes since high school ... when they were two of the highest rated prep players in the country.

They both went on to become standouts at Stanford ... and were each drafted into the NBA in 2001.

Jason says he didn't come out to his twin until last summer.  "I'm glad I can stop hiding and refocus on my 13th NBA season."

NBA stars Kobe Bryant and Tony Parker are rallying behind Collins, tweeting messages of support.  Kobe wrote, "Proud of @jasoncollins34. Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others." Tony added, "Really hope people will RESPECT Jason Collins for his decision to come out. Just glad he can now relax and not be afraid to be who he is."

Meanwhile, NFL player Mike Wallace made a homophobic comment.

0401-out-stars-footer-1

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11

Mahmoud

It's 2013 not 1963, we shouldn't be shocked! I do not agree with homosexuality but who am I to stop someone from being that way.

WOW

WHO CARES IF HE IS GAY! NORTH KOREA TALKN BOUT BOMBING US.

str8edgewriter

Typical liberal media agenda being shoved down the throats of people who don't care anyway. Yawn. Predictable nonsense to give fhag hags and bleeding hearts a pulpit to screech from (to an empty audience).

Cally

These comments show just how backward the US is - read the same story and comments in ANY other 1st world country, they read nothing like this. The US - still living in some 1950s "we're the greatest country in the world, everyone wants to be like us" fantasyland is ... well, it died years ago. And so did things like "His teammates will def get closer to the urinal in the bathroom when this guy is around." And you can't blame that all on juveniles, all 1st world countries have those. So this site reads like an epitaph to the US ... showing what it's become (where the real first world moved on years ago). Sad, but true. Yodel lay-he-ho - tune up those banjos boys, and go meet the religious nutcases to your left and the doomsday preppers to your right. And just know only YOU have that, the rest of us moved on in the first world YEARS ago.

Truth and Reality

No one is born gay. its science.

Cool

Are we shocked? Most Americans are gay, its a Country filled with Homosexuals.

I'mgreat69

You know for damm sure he came out to get that indorsment deal from nike

Ldubya

S u like to stick ya man parts in another mans butt hole....that's pretty gross...why did u just tell me that...why is it a "pat on the back" moment? It's weird and unnatural which is why it's a issue in the 1st place.
Question: if I loved to beat women, and I found a woman that loved to be beat, I should be applauded as long as I admit that it's something that's been in me all my life of wanting to beat women? I don't think so...it's appalling to think of such a thing...just like being gay...I don't see the reason celebration

toxxic_goddess

They only problem I have with anything in this article is the fact someone said the Washington Wizards were a major U.S. sports team ???? Really a major team .....who knew

dennis hart

coming out was cool,but what about the school teacher in col. oho.help her!

germanchocolatemix

Fwd: okay I'm full hot about this ****ing gay basketball player bull****. First of all who gives a **** that he's gay and what he does behind closed doors secondly he's washed up in at the end of his career 3rd why is the president of the United States calling this mother ****er to congratulate him for coming out of the ****ing closet ... who gives a **** doesn't the president have more important things to do then call a ****in gay ****in basketball player.... ****!! Pass a budget A$$h0le!!!

omgdude!123abc

After all this time , he finally admitted

Previous 15 Comments | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11