« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Active NBA Player

Jason Collins

I'M GAY

4/29/2013 8:18 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0428_jason_collins_01

Washington Wizards center Jason Collins -- who's been playing in the NBA since 2001 -- has revealed he's gay ... making him the first major active American male pro athlete to come out of the closet .

Collins revealed the news in an article for Sports Illustrated ... saying, "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay."

He continued, "I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation."

Collins -- and his twin brother Jarron -- have been high profile athletes since high school ... when they were two of the highest rated prep players in the country.

They both went on to become standouts at Stanford ... and were each drafted into the NBA in 2001.

Jason says he didn't come out to his twin until last summer.  "I'm glad I can stop hiding and refocus on my 13th NBA season."

NBA stars Kobe Bryant and Tony Parker are rallying behind Collins, tweeting messages of support.  Kobe wrote, "Proud of @jasoncollins34. Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others." Tony added, "Really hope people will RESPECT Jason Collins for his decision to come out. Just glad he can now relax and not be afraid to be who he is."

Meanwhile, NFL player Mike Wallace made a homophobic comment.

0401-out-stars-footer-1

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

4reallikecomon

The thing is...guys that are against gays,whenever this guy gets a rebound,or a fast break dunk,the first thing thats going to come to us straight guys mind is "look at the gay dude dunking*. ...then we might start being disgusted wth imaginining how and why this guy wanna blow some dude,or the other stuff they do....

ivan

Those here who have called Bieber gay because of his hair and voice-does this guy look like the stereotypical gay person? Does he have a high pitched voice and Bieber haircut? I am pointing this out to show how stupid throwing out false accusations can be.

William j

Wow people's comments are ripe with stupidity I guess I shouldn't be surprised!!

cargar

Next, we'll hear an announcement from the first left- handed, blonde ventriloquist to come out of the closet.

jimi

this just in...Jason Collins cut by washington

buzz kill

This whole report is GAY!

Cartman

Do NOT drop the soap near this guy.. he's already let you know he has no problem doing it.

Woot

Let's make it as in your face until it's as neutral emotionally to everyone as "I just had a glass of water!"

Robae

Most homophobic men are afraid that ***** are delicious.

DeeMaree

Won't it be a great day when it's no longer a big deal if one is gay. In professional sports this is a HUGE deal and even in the black community this is a biggie. I don't enjoy watching pro basketball but for those that are fans, I hope Jason Collins is in no way treated any differently than other pro players. Brave guy.

STAYCLASSYSANDIEGO

kudos for coming out, but a little late. 34 yr old free agent who played like 4 games last year and won't be resigned next year.

germs

Cool. You still an average player though! Incidently nike just came out and said they would sponsor first open gay athelete. Im sure its pure coincidence!

Sashatree

I look forward to the day when news like this isn't news and nobody cares. Glad he can now live his life fully and proudly - no hiding any more.

Asmarlak

Good for him and for all gays. Equality seems closer than ever.

Mikecrrgn