« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Active NBA Player

Jason Collins

I'M GAY

4/29/2013 8:18 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0428_jason_collins_01

Washington Wizards center Jason Collins -- who's been playing in the NBA since 2001 -- has revealed he's gay ... making him the first major active American male pro athlete to come out of the closet .

Collins revealed the news in an article for Sports Illustrated ... saying, "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay."

He continued, "I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation."

Collins -- and his twin brother Jarron -- have been high profile athletes since high school ... when they were two of the highest rated prep players in the country.

They both went on to become standouts at Stanford ... and were each drafted into the NBA in 2001.

Jason says he didn't come out to his twin until last summer.  "I'm glad I can stop hiding and refocus on my 13th NBA season."

NBA stars Kobe Bryant and Tony Parker are rallying behind Collins, tweeting messages of support.  Kobe wrote, "Proud of @jasoncollins34. Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others." Tony added, "Really hope people will RESPECT Jason Collins for his decision to come out. Just glad he can now relax and not be afraid to be who he is."

Meanwhile, NFL player Mike Wallace made a homophobic comment.

0401-out-stars-footer-1

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Mannie

Men & Women use different rest rooms. Should gay men and straight men also have seperate locker rooms? I mean because what's the point of seperate locker rooms anyway?

doomdaga

F-ing ***

dantespencer

Proud of him. This is historical. Its one small step for man, and one giant penis for gay men!

Norma Desomd

Good for you Jason! You should be proud!

Roman Moroni

I mean REALLY does it really matter what Wallace said or didn't say; here's my point DROP IT!

kelly

Own who you are !!

Katie Perry's Mini Bar Snatch

Wait what, he has a twin?? If you're born gay how is his twin not gay? :)

BisbeeChris

Hey TMZ, how come you left out the part of his quote where he said it was HIS story to tell and not TMZ's????????????

ryan

Derek Jeter should totally come out too! We love you Derek, you're a hell'uva short stop.

4reallikecomon

Some guys like running into Cervix,some guys like running into hemmoroids....

Ilya2

There's a lot of hate on this board and in this world. Alot of you should be ashamed of yourselvs.

agabe

What a stand-up, guy. Great that we are seeing the tides shift on gay athletes and people in general.

Toxicprincess

Tabby Catt

Good for him :)

4reallikecomon

You can say "former Nba player" now..