« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jackie Robinson

Pitcher's Family PISSED

Over Racist Portrayal in '42'

4/30/2013 6:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0430_fritz-ostermueller_chapman
The daughter of a MLB pitcher who threw at Jackie Robinson's head in the movie "42" tells TMZ ... producers blatantly disregarded the truth and unfairly portrayed her dad as a racist.

It was one of the most important scenes in the flick ... big, bad Fritz Ostermueller (pitching for the Pittsburgh Pirates at the time) fired a baseball at Jackie's head ... and then shouted at him, "You don't belong here!!!"

Problem is ... Fritz never beaned Jackie in the head in real life -- according to multiple reports at the time of the incident, the ball struck Jackie's arm.

Now, Fritz's daughter, Sherrill, is lashing out to TMZ -- "The producers of ‘42’ certainly owe my father an apology. If they were going to portray my father falsely, they should have used a fictional name."

0429_fritz_ostermueller_sub2Sherrill wants to make it clear -- her beef is NOT with Jackie ... "I have the deepest respect for Jackie Robinson and the courage he had to change baseball.”

However, Sherrill says producers have damaged her father's reputation beyond repair -- she tells us he was a "good man" who was never as angry or violent as he was portrayed in the movie.

We asked Sherrill if she believed her father was a racist -- to which she replied, "My dad, to my knowledge, was not a racist. I was not raised in that type of home."

We reached out to the people behind the movie -- so far, no word back.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

UmHuh

I'm sure in 1947 her family was really proud of her racist dad, but now that our environment has changed, somewhat, OMG...My dad wasn't a racist. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall to listen to your family conversations. Girl, get over it. It was 1947, your dad was a racist then and if he were alive would still be a racist. I'm sure the racist legacy he has passed down is priceless to your family. Sheesh!!!

Charles

Ofcourse they're going to change the truth. Nothing sells tickets better than a movie that demonizes whites and has a black hero who overcomes all odds. Producers know that racism is something that still is an emotional thing for many blacks and no period in modern history jars such memories and evokes such emotion like the early -mid part of the past century. Their motivation was simply to make money. To them, truth is meaningless. They wanted to sell tickets. Sadly, in this world greed trumps truth every time.

DTD

She's absolutely right. If the incident never happened they should have made up a name. Or used some one that did throw at him I'm sure it happened more than once.

Tamra

HISTORICAL FACT: The only reason the pitch didn't hit him in the head was that Jackie lifted his arm to shield his face.

Angie

It may have BEEN a wild pitch. But I think that him saying "you don't belong here" is the whole point. I've met people who are racist who will tell you how they aren't, yet they'll use racial epitaphs and spew statements about how blacks are given gov't handouts and are lazy.

gegeok

He still said... u don't belong here... Shut up... and and have a Dannggg Seat!!!! # racist!!!!

RATTLESNAKE

Hollywood producers only care about one thing and that is taking your hard earned money ! I don't go to movies i read books !

rob

To the best of your knowledge he wasn't a racist? I'm sure he was pretty racist. Wasn't his daughter pretty young when her father died?

take that

Which is why I won't see the movie. I had a feeling there was a lot of exaggeration on the situation .
I hope she sues and wins.

bbwlover1969

Hey morons, on both sides, it's called artistic liscence. It happens in fact based movies all the time. In order to jack up the drama they embellish some of the parts of the story. It's not intended to hurt anybody it's just to put butts in the seats. So everybody calm down.

DN

So, according to your article, Ostermueller hit Robinson in the arm and not the head. That doesn't exactly clear his name. It's tough being the daughter of a bigot.

ohhappydays

Im sooooooooooooo sick of these movies of the poor black man who get's picked on by the white guy. Cry me a friggin river Im so bored with their bitching & crying

Ozzie X

Post more content regarding Michelle Rodriguez. And don't give the foder to too fab.com She is hot and talented.

Ozzie X

And his role is not racist given the time, it's reality.

JFO

What does the truth matter in the pursuit of sensationalism???? So what if you ruin the reputation of another person to pound it home that Jackie Robinson did in fact face opposition to his playing major league ball??? This is why I don't go to see movies like this; I am in awe of what Mr. Robinson was able to accomplish but I can't take Hollywood's need to beat the viewer over the head with it instead of simply presenting the story in a truthful manner. That, in and of itself, is stirring enough without having to resort to such childish and fabricated instances that (in that case) besmirch the name of another player like this.