« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jason Collins' Ex-Fiancee

I Had NO IDEA He Was Gay

4/30/2013 11:13 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0428_jason_collins_carolyn_moosThe woman who was once engaged to NBA star Jason Collins tells TMZ, she had NO CLUE he was gay at the time of their relationship ... in fact, she only found out last weekend ... and she was floored.

Carolyn Moos (who played a few seasons in the WNBA) dated Collins for seven years and was engaged to him until they broke up in 2009 ... after Collins pulled the plug on their wedding.

Carolyn tells TMZ, she never once suspected he was gay, so the news is shocking. She says Collins eventually revealed everything last weekend -- just days before his big announcement -- and said that his homosexuality was the real reason he ended things with her.

At the time of their breakup, Carolyn says Jason gave a bunch of BS reasons for calling it quits ... and she could never understand what went wrong, until now.

Carolyn -- who's back on the hunt for Mr. Right -- tells us, "It's very emotional for me as a woman to have invested 8 years in my dream to have a husband, soul mate, and best friend in him. So this is all hard to understand."

She adds, "I care about [Jason] tremendously and only want the best for him. I want Jason to be happy for a lifetime and stay true to who he really is, inside and out."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

secsi

some of u people need to get a life of ur own...u dis people and put people down while u hide behind screen names ....wow I thought as adults we would be past name calling and judgements but I guess not....hate to see what u teach ur kids

secsi

u dont get aids becauseur gay or on the down low ...u get aids from unprotected sex!

seashell4ever

I think there are more important things, I cant believe that the Prez actually made comments about this, what about more stories on the People who were hurt in the bombings, in this time of social media, we forget so fast the real important things in life.

Just_Me

Now that's a dumb white ho if I ever saw one.
I see why black men use them.

Kelly

I feel so bad for Carolyn! She didn't spend 1 not 2 BUT 8 years with this ***got!! He should have been honest and not been such a wussy about his sexuality. Gay guys are such a waste of space!! They should all move onto an island with each other away from society, pretty sure they'd enjoy it too. #gayguysarepathetic #gtfo

tracie

See men like this need to be put to jail. I went through this for 10 YEARS..and I'm not as forgiving. These DL men destroy lives and put other people in jeopardy with disease..I'm still going through this stigma..Ugh this ticks me off...

Nun ja biz

Sorry 8 wasted years is unforgivable. That is a horrible thing to do to someone. Great he is able to who he is but he should have just stayed single and not put on a show.

RunnerGirl

I really feel for her. I know 100% what she is feeling because it happened to me in high school. my boyfriend (I was only with him for 2 years) was gay the whole time and I had no clue - it was the darkest moment of my life when he told me he was gay. please don't judge this girl - I have been thru the same horror and it is very heartbreaking.

Marcus

She had no idea he was gay, but wondered why he would only do her in the butt.

USA#1

Pretty sad and pathetic. Guy may be a hero to gays but he is just another piece of crap who deceived someone else and wasted 8 years of their life. This proves again that human beings are nothing more than animals.

Carmen

Carolyn you are beautiful. You will find another man. I feel bad for her. 8 years is a long time.

Booker

Yikes...of course he said in his statement he covered up by dating women and was even engaged, but I didn't know he took eight years from someone's life.....he did the right thing by coming out, but she can't get those years back....

Marcus

If being gay is gentic, why isn't science working to either correct the condition in the womb or abort the defected fetus?

RunnerGirl

So he gets to ride off into the sunset with his newfound fame but she's the one left to pick up the pieces of her crushed heart. this guy is a pathetic, narcissistic jerk. using her as a cover FOR 8 YEARS!!! until he felt ready to come out. if for one second you all think i'm being mean - I'm not...because it's happened to me. my boyfriend of 2 years in high school used me as a cover until he felt like it was time and he wanted to come out to his family. this is a level of cruel that's unforgivable. what a s***bag.

fyah warrior

i believe all those players who is commending him also are gay like kobe and all the rest how could u commend he is a sinner against the most high and all u gay people think it is all right i use to watch b-ball but now it's not a man sport no more gays are taking over sports and that white woman she aint bad looking at all hey girl if u still like ur coffe black come and hit me up i'll surely slam dunk that .why dont they make a gay league so all those who gay m.....f.......could with one another oh yeh and obama wait till ur two daughters say they arwe leso send them to me i'llstraighten them out for u