'Naked and Afraid'

Snake Eats Producer's Foot

5/2/2013 12:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0501-naked-affraid-snake-bite
This may be the most disturbing thing you see in the month of May ... a deadly snake bit a TV producer in the foot ... and the damage is bone-chilling -- literally and figuratively.

WARNING:  If you have a weak stomach ... DO NOT CLICK HERE.

The zombie foot belongs to Steve Rankin ... a producer on the upcoming Discovery show "Naked and Afraid," which drops 2 nude survivalists in remote locations and films their struggle to stay alive.

Rankin tells TMZ ... "I was scouting locations in Costa Rica ... As I was traversing through some deep jungle I was bitten on the foot by a Fer-de-Lance. It's one of the deadliest snakes in the world and the fangs went right through my boot."

0501-fer-de-lance-2-1
Rankin says his team hustled him for 2 miles on a makeshift stretcher, drove to a helipad and had him airlifted to a San Jose hospital ... where he got antivenom and antibiotics. But things went horribly wrong ...

"About 5 days later the flesh in my foot had started to rot," he said ... surgeons in Costa Rica had to cut away a serious chunk of it ... he was then rushed back to L.A. for skin grafts. He says he's recovering nicely now.

clive

Get better soon! Hang in there.

LeapOfFaith

Not that it has anything to do with the snake bite, but how tall is he? He appears about 4 feet tall.

Beckie

The nude pic of the tanning bed, was worse then that!!!!!

fooferthedog

He represents the Snakebite Guild.

marys_talkin

Wow that was gross. Glad he is still with us

Ashley

Holy hell, you guys weren't kidding!

Cathryn Mazer

Yet another example of why low budget reality shows are bad for everyone. As well as crappy viewing.

melissasue

He was naked in that show cuz he said he wanted to prove he could survive with absolutely nothing! That included clothes I guess..lolol.. An seeing the inside a foot was a first for me..lmao

Nobrows

Maybe this show isn't a good idea.

Becca

For some reason I can't see what everyone else is seeing....hmm

Becky

On the show you guys talked about how the flesh rotted to the bone. I looked at the picture, not bone! Those were tendons in the picture, not bone.

Dennis

I used to collect all types of snakes at one time in my life.. Since living in Costa Rica for the past 5 years I have run across the Fer-de-Lance 3 times by accident and each time I noticed that they are very aggressive because they know they are bad ass.. Same as a American Side Winder. Sidewinder will actually chase you down if you get too close, Fer-de-Lance is actually one of the most dangerous in the world....

Alfredo C.

wow, this looks really painful. at least he actually goes out and scouts for locations himself.

J.LOLA

Poor guy but that photo is AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seatart

Thanks for the nightmares! I didn't even have to look at the scary picture.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments