'Naked and Afraid'

Snake Eats Producer's Foot

5/2/2013 12:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0501-naked-affraid-snake-bite
This may be the most disturbing thing you see in the month of May ... a deadly snake bit a TV producer in the foot ... and the damage is bone-chilling -- literally and figuratively.

WARNING:  If you have a weak stomach ... DO NOT CLICK HERE.

The zombie foot belongs to Steve Rankin ... a producer on the upcoming Discovery show "Naked and Afraid," which drops 2 nude survivalists in remote locations and films their struggle to stay alive.

Rankin tells TMZ ... "I was scouting locations in Costa Rica ... As I was traversing through some deep jungle I was bitten on the foot by a Fer-de-Lance. It's one of the deadliest snakes in the world and the fangs went right through my boot."

0501-fer-de-lance-2-1
Rankin says his team hustled him for 2 miles on a makeshift stretcher, drove to a helipad and had him airlifted to a San Jose hospital ... where he got antivenom and antibiotics. But things went horribly wrong ...

"About 5 days later the flesh in my foot had started to rot," he said ... surgeons in Costa Rica had to cut away a serious chunk of it ... he was then rushed back to L.A. for skin grafts. He says he's recovering nicely now.

Linda

I know just how this poor guy feels. Compared to his my mishap is nothing. I accidentally impaled my right calf on my metal matress rail.

They tried to stich back the area that was ripped away but the area they sewed died. Unlike the director I don't have great insurance and they would not do a skin graph so they just left it like that until the dead skin came off. After 3 months I am still recovering and it will take a while before it completely heals. It's horrible because I'm allergic to nearly all antiboitics. Wanta see my pictures???

I will keep him in my thoughts.

Linda
HB/CA

Rick

Fer-de-lance bites are much worse than a typical rattlesnake bite. You can actually see the flesh quiver just before it starts exploding. You usually end up losing a limb because of it!

Double Bubble

So they're going to be dropping naked people where these snakes are? Now THAT would be a cool reality show!!

Kaire

So i guessing its a bad time to ask are you still getting that mani pedi !

Mr Barcliff

Why do people do stuff like this? Scouting in Costa Rica, a place known for dangerious wildlife for $. Im happy hes ok, nobody deserves to be killed by wildlife unless they provoke it intentionally, and we all know his intent wasnt to hunt or to agitate any wildlife so he gets a pass in that regard. Im just wondering, why do this show? Why put peoples lives in extra harms way being everyday can already be our last even not putting ourselves in harm knowingly or unknowingly! No amount of money should makes us as humans or Americans do this. If anything it shows what we believe to be happiness may be money and risking our lives for ratings and fortune on the part of the contestants who will get 15-30 mintues of fame depending on there handlers/managers it shows how mush people desire fame/$! Well, its our choice to decide for ourselves so, hope they survive this unharmed anyway.

sh

Yikes !! So, was it really worth it, Mr. Rankin?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4