Reese Witherspoon

Arrest in ATL Was Just

'One of Those Nights'

5/2/2013 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050213_reese_witherspoon_gma_launchReese Witherspoon said she and her husband exercised "poor judgment" on the night they were both arrested in Atlanta and says an incident like that will "never happen again."

In her first interview since the arrest in Atlanta on April 19, Reese told George Stephanopoulos of "Good Morning America" that she and hubby Jim Toth had "one too many glasses of wine" at dinner and thought they were "fine to drive."

Clearly they weren't ... and Witherspoon was arrested for disorderly conduct after she mouthed off to the police officer who was arresting her husband for DUI.

As for the infamous "Do you know my name?" ... Reese admitted, "I had no idea what I was saying."

nora

Though we all make mistakes, there is something about her - very disingenous, hope for better acting next interview!

honey234

Entitled bitch, her true colors came out with a "few glasses of wine"" sure Reese. I don't buy it. You are old enough to know better. Your supposed to be a role model. You just made everyone else know just exactly how you are. I'll boycott any movie you are in and wait till it comes out on redbox..

Wedo

Let the apology tour of saving face begin....

lowens1975

She is "legally blonde', she told the cop she was pregnant and obviously drunk when she did. That wasn't very bright.

Sandra

She has owned up to her bad judgement and behaviour. I am sure she will not do this again.She should do some ads for free about drinking and not driving and obeying police requests!!

Dp160000

Reese has been the perfect role model for everything she has done. She is a great mother, actor. Let's face it she is the girl next door. She has always been perfect at everything she does. But let her do one thing out of the ordinary and everyone is racking her over the coals. She has told everyone what happened and it is time to drop it and let it go. Friend from Tennessee.

Lynn317

One of the biggest clues as to Reese's inability to use good judgement ... is in her recent choice of friends.
Don't understand how a mom with 3 kids ...with one being an infant ... would choose a renowned booze hound, single party girl Chelsea Handler as a close friend. Their priorities SHOULD be entirely different - Chelsea just admitted she doesn't want kids and would not be a good mom and she has made it very clear she likes to drink ..excessively. How does that align with someone who has CHOSEN to have 3 kids who are very dependent on Reese and will use her as a role model. It appears that Reese is having a midlife crisis and wants to return to her days as a carefree partying single woman, instead of accepting she is in her thirties now with 3 young kids who require she use good judgement in her conduct.
Time to Grow Up Reese and find Grown Up RESPONSIBLE friends who don't let their husbands drive drunk and while you sit mindlessly next to them not realizing how recklessly IRRESPONSIBLE BOTH of your behaviors were.

6one9

Next time
SMOKE SOME WEED INSTEAD!!!

Physical Graffiti

The "well, she made a mistake, we all do it" comments are incomprehensible to me. A mistake is when you put on one black sock and one blue sock and they can well afford to hire a driver. He could have killed someone, but I see more sympathy for her than mentions about that. I guess none of you sympathizers have never lost a loved one to drunk driving, or you'd be singing a different tune. Sad.

nora

Though we all make mistake, there is something about her - very disingenous, hope for better acting next interview!

ChaCha

Why do celebrities feel so entitled because they are famous? "Do you know my name"? I could buy & sell Reese with the dirt underneath my fingernails but I would never ask a cop if he knew my name. Even with all my money I still do my own gardening

LizzieBlueEyes

I guess she thinks people are stupid. Her husband's alcohol level was REMAKABLY over the limit. This is not accomplished by one or two extra glasses of wine. And IF this is the first time it happened, they are VERY unlucky people. Of course, this wasn't his or her first time driving while intoxicated. Can she also apologize for her arrogance and HUGE ego?

VICKY

REESE AND HAS HUSBAND HAVE HANDLED THIS DUI EXACTLY THE WAY A GOOD RESPONSIBLE PERSON SHOULD. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY, APOLOGIZE, TAKE THE PUNISHMENT AND VOW FOR IT TO NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. A TEXT BOOK RESPONSE OF HONESTY AND PROPER BEHAVIOUR. WELL DONE REESE AND JIM.

Zorbitor

Although its practically impossible, If you’re an average person you’d best try to NOT get convicted…. It really messes up your life.

l

Where is and who is caring for her infant son during all of this? Didn't see her at all with him to and from the airport after her arrest nor mention of him when she zipped up to NYC.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments