« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe Bryant

Feud With Mom

Is Over MONEY

5/4/2013 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0503-kobe-bryant-pam-tmz-gettyWe now know why Kobe Bryant is at war with his mother ... at least from his perspective, and it has to do with money.

As we previously reported ... Kobe and mama Pamela Bryant are locked in a battle over memorabilia ... his old jerseys, varsity letters from high school, championship rings, trophies and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Pamela has taken all the stuff to an auction house, claiming he gave it all to her, and she got a $450,000 advance which she says she's using to buy a house in Nevada.  Kobe contacted the auction house and said they had no right to sell any of the items because they belong to him.

Sources connected with the Bryant family tell TMZ ... the dispute between mother and son erupted over real estate. We're told Kobe offered to buy his parents a "nice house" in Vegas for significantly less than a million bucks, but they wanted something bigger and more extravagant and Kobe drew a line in the sand and refused to up the ante.

Our sources say Pamela was infuriated and believed Kobe was shortchanging them, especially compared to what he does for Vanessa's mom, Sofia Laine.  Kobe put Sofia up in a $3.2 million house in Newport Beach, CA, which sold recently.  After the sale, Kobe moved Sofia to another multi-million dollar mansion nearby.

From Kobe's perspective, our sources say he's really upset because he believes he's stepped up for years, by giving his parents millions of dollars and buying them homes and cars.

This feud has been brewing for years ... dating back to when Kobe's parents went ballistic when he married Vanessa without a prenup.

update_bar
Kobe tweeted on Saturday morning, saying, "When u give Give GIVE and they take Take TAKE at wat point do u draw a line in the sand? #hurtbeyondmeasure #gavemenowarning #love?"

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

bozzman

his parents were angry that he married a hispanic catholic. the prenup was secondary

Tjohnson

Ok

Cancerubies720

He should have taken that stuff with him if it was so important. His mom can do whatever she wants with it. Money will come and go, you only have one mom.

ZRGB

His parents raised him and contributed to his success. He does owe them to keep them at least at the comfort level of his in laws. End of story. If you believe he does not owe his parents the luxuries he's lavishing on vanessa's parents, who did nothing for his career, then your parents have seriously failed and I feel sorry for them for having you as a child. A child owes everything to their parents if they raised them in a nurturing, happy home. From what I see of Kobe and his parents, he was raised in a good home.

soberandsmober

I'd be pissed too. He's treating the MIL to millions and shifting his own parents? Please. That ain't right.

erkg

thought houses were cheaper in Vegas than in LA - she sounds greedy to me.

germs

Greedy,greedy. wtf mom! You suck

Mimi

Why does everyone think this is Kobe's decision. He's a married man without a prenup...he put all the houses in Vanessa's name to prevent the last divorce. I think his wife is running the finances as penance for his philandering, Betcha' she decides "my Mom gets this house and your Mom gets that".

Plus, if Vanessa would accept that 6 million dollar ring after the rape allegations/infidelty, money obviously is priority one for her.

Tell me she wouldn't have word one to say about who gets what? Again, he transferred the assets to her name why? Maybe so she could finally cut off millions going to the in-laws. Nothing more low-class than a daughter-in-law taking it all for herself and thinking too much is going to YOUR parents. LOL.

Brando

So, this piece of **** was raised by a Black family who gave him a good life and he eventually became wealthy and married an uneducated Mexican, put her parents in multi-million home and he can't do anything for the BLACK PARENTS who raised him? I hate Black American men. They're complete *******s.

Ann33

I'm sorry but it doesn't sound like anyone wants Kobe for anything except his money!

jewelgrl

Wow! Greedy! Poor Kobe. I think he's generous for even offering to buy them a house at all. I don't blame Kobe for drawing the line. You don't have kids just so you can milk them when they become rich. His Mom is out if line!

lee

Case of my son's money is my money. She should be embarrassed about taking an advantage... especially hes been giving them money all these yrs.... I dont like kobe but he doesn't seem like a jack as$ who wouldnt give a damn.

wecomefromacell

uneducated light skinned young mexican girls are better looking than uneducated dark black young girls..who always is up for miss universe.. latin women..sorry @ brando

TeeGee67

Unfortunately Kobe's parents will have to leave it alone. Its rough but whatcha gonna do? Kobe is a grown man and married. Vanessa's parents hit the lottery and they don't want to share.

Minime85

I don't agree with her selling his stuff without his permission. We don't know what's been going on with his parents and what all he's been doing. All I can say is I HOPE he isn't doing more for Vanessa family than his own. And if I had money like that my mom could have whatever she wants! But clearly they must have a rocky relationship or she be running the hell out.