« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe Bryant

Feud With Mom

Is Over MONEY

5/4/2013 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0503-kobe-bryant-pam-tmz-gettyWe now know why Kobe Bryant is at war with his mother ... at least from his perspective, and it has to do with money.

As we previously reported ... Kobe and mama Pamela Bryant are locked in a battle over memorabilia ... his old jerseys, varsity letters from high school, championship rings, trophies and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Pamela has taken all the stuff to an auction house, claiming he gave it all to her, and she got a $450,000 advance which she says she's using to buy a house in Nevada.  Kobe contacted the auction house and said they had no right to sell any of the items because they belong to him.

Sources connected with the Bryant family tell TMZ ... the dispute between mother and son erupted over real estate. We're told Kobe offered to buy his parents a "nice house" in Vegas for significantly less than a million bucks, but they wanted something bigger and more extravagant and Kobe drew a line in the sand and refused to up the ante.

Our sources say Pamela was infuriated and believed Kobe was shortchanging them, especially compared to what he does for Vanessa's mom, Sofia Laine.  Kobe put Sofia up in a $3.2 million house in Newport Beach, CA, which sold recently.  After the sale, Kobe moved Sofia to another multi-million dollar mansion nearby.

From Kobe's perspective, our sources say he's really upset because he believes he's stepped up for years, by giving his parents millions of dollars and buying them homes and cars.

This feud has been brewing for years ... dating back to when Kobe's parents went ballistic when he married Vanessa without a prenup.

update_bar
Kobe tweeted on Saturday morning, saying, "When u give Give GIVE and they take Take TAKE at wat point do u draw a line in the sand? #hurtbeyondmeasure #gavemenowarning #love?"

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Physical Graffiti

I'd have sympathy - but not much - if he didn't have it but he has enough to live 100 lifetimes. He'll never miss it...and they wouldn't expect it if you didn't "give give give" it. I'm pretty sure they didn't put a gun in your back and make you transfer money to their accounts, so you did this to yourself. ****ing rich people!

kooky sperm

Sorry but if Kobe threw all that money at Vanessa so she wouldn't leave him and to make her happy he should be doing the same for his mom. Even if he has already given her millions. That's his mom. You can tell by Vanessa's instagram how shallow and insecure she is. She's constantly posting pics of material stuff and you can tell she's trying to compensate for the humiliation she suffered by being Mrs. Kobe Bryant. Just saying not hating.

Tjohnson

Kobe, you asked a question.......you draw the line when that same line is drawn for your in laws. Why draw a line for your parents who I bet gave up a lot for you to become the "Kobe Bryant" we know you to be. If what we read is true ..........a four million dollar ring, three houses and much more you really don't know which one too draw the line with. Vanessa as a wife help your family heal from this and move on. Your children need to know both sets of grandparents.

Sue

This is too bad, I really think Kobe has helped his parents out, too bad she went behind his back and tried to auction his things. I am sure some of the items are very sentimental to him. Sounds like Mom has a touch of the green eyed monster over the mother in law.

AlwaysOnTimeB

I'm not a huge Kobe fan, but I'm on his side on this one. His parents are grown people who should be able to finance themselves. They shouldn't continue to expect him to finance them forever. I'm sure if this hadn't happened, he would have taken care of them in their old age when they aren't able to take care of themselves, but I think he thinks they see him a a bank on wheels.

Laura

His parents sound like ungrateful asses. He doesn't owe them a dime.

Sara

Wow after raising you and carrying you in her stomach for 9 months and looking after you and now that you are so damn close enough to own the world money all of a sudden becomes a way important thing than your relationship with your mother? MOTHER?! That is what is sad. Whatever he tweeted is true but your parents and specially your mothers should be an exeption you should continue to give until the day you die and that won't be enough and its just money it's not like he doesn't waste money at all they all shop for stupid things and go to the strip club and all these cars but when your mother asks for some money WOOOOW!

Belfast to Cali cutie

Putting his mother in law in a multi million dollar home doesn't say much. I'm sure if the tabs were tallied over the years, kobe has probably given ten fold to his parents.. Sounds as the his parents are too accustomed to their son's money. People say he needs to support his mother, if she cared that much why sell things that have so much sentimental value regarding the child you love? That's beyond sad. As far as the money he spends on Vannesa, even the bible says a wife is the most important next to God. His wife, whether you like her or not, has been with him for over a decade, gave him two children and has been by his side when she could have take the money and ran. Kobe doesn't need to give his parents as much as his wife.

David

Apparently the mother is a greedy biotch!!! He has given her so much and yet, she wants more, more, more. Don't give her anymore money and let her get a f-cking job like the rest of us. You can take the woman out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the woman.

John

SPIRITUAL INSIGHT

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came mot to send peace, but a sword.
St. Matthew 10:34

For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
St. Matthew 10:35

And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.
St. Matthew 10:36

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
St. Matthew 10:37

While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
St. Matthew 12:46

Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
St. Matthew 12:47

But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
St. Matthew 12:48

And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
St. Matthew 12:49

For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
St. Matthew 12:50

MY POINT: Every mother is not worthy. Especially many of the black mothers. Because they have not done right by their sons.

CoreyPain718

How "White" of them.....

Sher

I don't like Kobe at all, but parents like THIS who feel that they should be 'gifted' in style with money that is NOT theirs, I have even less patience for. All through this industry there are parents who are either pimping their children (Lohans) or taking major advantage of the fact that their CHILD earns a lot of money. Not THEM but their child! Get a life and get a job mom!!!

Truth

She looks like your basic ghetto trash.

milmil

Sara your just as greedy as kobes mom

carol

He is saying a major something in his tweet. They gave him no warning - I take that to mean mother never said she was going to sell his things - that has to hurt - how bad is it for a mom to sell your things just to finance her own lifestyle. She's not poor - there was no need for that - he made a generous offer to buy her a home but she didn't think it was good enough - so who is wrong? I'm still with Kobe on this one.