Lauryn Hill

3 Months In Prison

For Tax Evasion

5/6/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050613_laryn_hill_exit_launch
Lauryn Hill has been sentenced to spend 3 months in FEDERAL PRISON for tax evasion … even though she claims she paid off her nearly $1 million bill to Uncle Sam before sentencing.

A judge in Newark, New Jersey dished out the sentence moments ago ... and told Hill that after she completes her stint behind bars, she'll spend 3 more months on house arrest ... followed by 9 months of supervised release.

Before the hearing, Hill's attorney told the media the singer scraped together more than $970,000 to repay her debt to the government.

The 37-year-old former Fugee pled guilty last year to three counts of tax evasion for failing to file returns on $1.8 million she earned from 2005 to 2007. Lauryn's attorney asked for mercy because of her charity work and 6 kids ... but the judge wasn't buying it.

During the hearing, the judge ordered Hill to report to prison by July 8. It's unclear where Hill will serve her time.

Hill was present during the hearing, and delivered a statement to the judge in which she compared her situation to slavery.

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of. ... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

She continued, "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

mike

The **** tried the race card and it didnt work, gees to bad, but i kinda teared up about her being the child of slaves,, nothing like using the slave card bitch you are a joke

djbuschini

B O will set her free !

Dave

Yes that's right you were affected as much by slavery as I was effected by the potato famine from my home land. A Hole

Dean

The racist bitch should have gotten at least 5 years.

Brian Workman

Why aren't our Career Politicians who have put ALL of us into Trillions of $$$$$$$$$$$ in debt, "for which they have NO Intent of paying off", are not in jail by now!?!?!?!?

Mike Huntsarry

Was she always that ugly or did that just come with age

ericbo

3 months is entirely too short of a sentence. It is about time that celebrities and politicians who flaunt the law because they think they are "different", get the same treatment as an average citizen. Until that happens, they will continue to think they are"'special"

Marisol

Wow, when you're white and owe the IRS, you have your possessions taken and you keep on living. When you're black, you pay the money back and go to jail. Now that's the American way.

RogerB

Slavery!!!! Geez lady get your butt to jail and quit thinking the government owes you something. You tried to swindle your taxes, which means you a swindling me since I have to pay taxes, and you say it is slavery. Go to jail and think about it.

Sheila Samuel

I feel so sorry for her as she did pay $970K back. So many artist allow their CPA's to take care of their financial situations and after finding out to late most times they have taken advantage of them." Make sure you watch your own books." Its you who has to pay for any wrong not no one other than you.

TROUBLE

That's what she gets for voting Obama...Pay Up!!

inthefort

Glad we got the tax evaders, now HSBC can keep laundering money for the Taliban. Need to have our priorities in order.

JJ

if that was me...............50 years in prison. ashame these stars & celeberties get away with everything or a slap on the rist!

<3nj

stop comparing her to lilo. dont twist it im not a fan of either one, but i <3 nj n we'll find you!!! linds was smart enough to not to live here

IRISH

Oh! no...not the "famous"? lauryn hill!!!