Lauryn Hill

3 Months In Prison

For Tax Evasion

5/6/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050613_laryn_hill_exit_launch
Lauryn Hill has been sentenced to spend 3 months in FEDERAL PRISON for tax evasion … even though she claims she paid off her nearly $1 million bill to Uncle Sam before sentencing.

A judge in Newark, New Jersey dished out the sentence moments ago ... and told Hill that after she completes her stint behind bars, she'll spend 3 more months on house arrest ... followed by 9 months of supervised release.

Before the hearing, Hill's attorney told the media the singer scraped together more than $970,000 to repay her debt to the government.

The 37-year-old former Fugee pled guilty last year to three counts of tax evasion for failing to file returns on $1.8 million she earned from 2005 to 2007. Lauryn's attorney asked for mercy because of her charity work and 6 kids ... but the judge wasn't buying it.

During the hearing, the judge ordered Hill to report to prison by July 8. It's unclear where Hill will serve her time.

Hill was present during the hearing, and delivered a statement to the judge in which she compared her situation to slavery.

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of. ... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

She continued, "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

thompson

And Lindsey Lohan still gets to walk around free. STUPID!!!

Trigga31

I sold 50 million units and now I'm paying a tax debt? I'm sure your slave ancestors weep for you, you dumb ugly bitch

STFUP

""I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of."
What the F**K is that supposed to mean? She's implying she had NO idea you have to pay taxes in America. BULLS**T!
"I'm a child of former slaves."
Like F**K you are, you ultra-racist b**ch! You were born in New Jersey to an English teacher and computer programmer! She talks like her parents were slaves when she was born. NOT!
""I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."
I made $120K last year and had to pay thousands in taxes for it! Does that make ME a 'slave', Lauren? Shut the F**K up, you dumb b**ch. Be GRATEFUL that 3 months is all you got!

Carl

It is really offensive when someone tries to compare people's real suffering and a true national disgrace (slavery) to not paying taxes.

Minnetonka40

Yah Lauren, you racist Bit@@. The law didn't apply to you right? Have fun--hope it was worth it.

jimbo

Somebody might want to remind Ms. Hill that slaves didn't make $1.8 million. She's pathetic for making the comparison.

Minnetonka40

Back in the 90's I heard this lady hated white people. I guess she is still the same racist Bit@@@ who thinks she should be treated like a queen.

Dara

Oh get over it bitch! I actually felt for her right up until she played that **** with associating paying taxes with slavery. Is the racist bitch mad because she has to get screwed over by the IRS the same way the rest of the country does? F her!

jdranetz

Where does she think all the money comes from to pay for all those public assistance programs. Does she think black people should be exempt from paying taxes?

Radio Ninja

She should have gotten 10 years for stupidity after she opened her mouth. Amazing how someone can equate selling 50 million records to slavery and get away with it.

Jen

This racist bitch can **** off.

MysticalFlute

Ah good, it's not in California.

Nfsgirl

Omg seriously throwing slavery out there. Please woman grow up and pay for your actions!

Cricket

Celebs pay your ****. Ridiculous. I do wish she'd make music again.

Tax

What really bother me is the people who make excuses for her poor behavior. Did she miss out who the president is?

She just wanted to sit on her hill and spend all her money while everyone else pays her taxes.

I am not poor and I am not rich but I always pay my taxes on time.