Lauryn Hill

3 Months In Prison

For Tax Evasion

5/6/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050613_laryn_hill_exit_launch
Lauryn Hill has been sentenced to spend 3 months in FEDERAL PRISON for tax evasion … even though she claims she paid off her nearly $1 million bill to Uncle Sam before sentencing.

A judge in Newark, New Jersey dished out the sentence moments ago ... and told Hill that after she completes her stint behind bars, she'll spend 3 more months on house arrest ... followed by 9 months of supervised release.

Before the hearing, Hill's attorney told the media the singer scraped together more than $970,000 to repay her debt to the government.

The 37-year-old former Fugee pled guilty last year to three counts of tax evasion for failing to file returns on $1.8 million she earned from 2005 to 2007. Lauryn's attorney asked for mercy because of her charity work and 6 kids ... but the judge wasn't buying it.

During the hearing, the judge ordered Hill to report to prison by July 8. It's unclear where Hill will serve her time.

Hill was present during the hearing, and delivered a statement to the judge in which she compared her situation to slavery.

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of. ... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

She continued, "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

Minnetonka40

Lauren...too bad the judge didn't know before hand what an angry Black Panther you are.

Tryst

Everyone owes taxes, I don't care what your heritage is. Every celeb owes taxes. Doesn't matter who you pay to do your books.. or not do them. If you're making that kind of mad change? You invest first in your accounts, then invest your accounts accordingly. This isn't a race issue, it's a common sense issue. No one is more entitled to skip out on the tax man than the next person.

paincakes

People still believe she said that? It was a rumor from a radio show lol. Or please show me where she said it. Whaaa how'd I end up on TMZ, ugh no surprise people believe rumors here.

STFUP

For those of you comparing this to Lohan - Lohan was in CA court. Hill was in NJ court.
Further proof that the CA justice system is totally broken. If Lindsay had pulled all of her crap in NJ rather than CA, she'd be in jail right now.

Pete

the slave defence..lmao....dumb whore

STFUP

I'm white but I have ancestors who were black salves too. Does that mean I'm not supposed to have to pay any taxes? That's what Lauren seems to think. Stupid sk@nk.

Donna

Black, white or asian---we all have to pay taxes. deal with it

KicksandGiggles

The only problem is, she will now have lots of time w/o 6 kids to write more music for folks stupid enough to buy her garbage, make more $, and owe more taxes. Next time & there will be a next time, she needs to be sentenced a hell of alot more time than lousy 3 months!! She sounds like a complete moron with this slavery crap. It will probably end up as a stupid song.

taz

Too bad Shawn Holley wasn't available for Lauren.

Sher

Wow, so if she weren't black, she wouldn't owe taxes? Why do I have a tax debt then? I know they use the race card for just about everything that 'ails' them, but this is beyond ridiculous. Ya, u a slave baby, but get this straight, we ALL are slaves of this here US of A's guvmt!

Sheep123

It's funny how you can click on the member profiles of previous comments and find lists and lists of hate responses in their user history. Pretty sad really.
None of you give a **** that she didn't pay up.
You only care that you may have missed out on some 'privilege' of sorts... And that simply can not do, can it?
Grow up people.
And scrap the racism remark that she supposedly had said- it can't be sourced. Anyone who still clings to that must be at least be middle-aged by now, and if you're trolling on the internet through menopause, your ass needs help!

ACE DEUCEY

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of..."

Yeah, yeah, we know. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. Well, don't worry. You'll learn your lesson in the slammer.

mousetrap

What she is saying is that because she is a black American, and her ancestors were enslaved and discriminated against for so long, she can not be expected to know how to manage money like Whitey does and therefore know how to pay taxes like Whitey does. She is a Negress who is a descendant of slaves. Therefore, it is not her responsibility to play by "Whitey's" rules, and she can't possibly be expected to. All rubbish, of course, but it is kind of refreshing to here a black person actually come out a admit this twisted mentality that a whole lotta of them have.

EasilyHard

Its a cheap yet stinging defense..living in a mansion with 6 children would end in my certain suicide..1 child would make me turn to OXY and Speeed Ballz.the time away that she created maybe promotional and/or intentional

my4girrrrls

Uh sorry Lauren...black people pay taxes too.