Lauryn Hill

3 Months In Prison

For Tax Evasion

5/6/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050613_laryn_hill_exit_launch
Lauryn Hill has been sentenced to spend 3 months in FEDERAL PRISON for tax evasion … even though she claims she paid off her nearly $1 million bill to Uncle Sam before sentencing.

A judge in Newark, New Jersey dished out the sentence moments ago ... and told Hill that after she completes her stint behind bars, she'll spend 3 more months on house arrest ... followed by 9 months of supervised release.

Before the hearing, Hill's attorney told the media the singer scraped together more than $970,000 to repay her debt to the government.

The 37-year-old former Fugee pled guilty last year to three counts of tax evasion for failing to file returns on $1.8 million she earned from 2005 to 2007. Lauryn's attorney asked for mercy because of her charity work and 6 kids ... but the judge wasn't buying it.

During the hearing, the judge ordered Hill to report to prison by July 8. It's unclear where Hill will serve her time.

Hill was present during the hearing, and delivered a statement to the judge in which she compared her situation to slavery.

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of. ... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

She continued, "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

en Todo Momento!!

so you basically get locked up for not allowing someone to run off with your millions.. with several hundred millions in l hills case... income that you toured and danced around on stage for all over the world like a dancing bear. for years on end. then some white shirt wearing accountant who sat at his computer all day gets to pocket your income. sounds legit.

Joe

@FOEBIA
Obviously you are very ignorant so I decided to post the "real" definition of Racism...
Racism: noun 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

elena

This woman is a dumb racist bitch. Slavery has been over for a long time you ghetto black....pay your taxes next time !

Gigohead

That was a rather harsh sentence considering banks rape the government for billions and those guy are free as birds. Not fair! Talk about over kill here!

Msdana31

First of all, can someone please produce the audio or video of Lauryn Hill making the alleged statement that she doesn't like white people listening to her music. Trust me, if there was such a thing, it would already be public record. That lie is just another run of the mill rumor, just like the one where Tommy Hilfiger supposedly said the same thing about black people and his clothing. Elvis Presley supposedly said a similar thing and the list goes on and on and on. Americans are so simple minded. Read a ****ing book once and a while. Preferably one without pictures. But I digress. Answer this. How many white celebs with the same tax issues, who paid what they owed, just like Lauryn, got jail time? Not a damn one! If you can't see the hypocrisy in this ****, then just continue not being an intelligent free thinker. Be the sheep that you are destined to be. Toddles!

doublem

She's welcome to leave this country as soon as she's out, preferably to Mexico.

azriel

boo-fricken'-hoo

What!

Your situation DOES NOT COMPARE to the predicament my black ancestor were in! How dare u compare?!

Steph

Wow!! I guess its just to bad she did not have a rich family member to teach her all the tax evasion tactics, like MITT Romney!! ... just saying

Physical Graffiti

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of..." She didn't know that when you work, you pay taxes?!

Lana

Everybody has to pay taxes. Enough with the racism already and grow the hell up

PJ in Texas

I get so tired of these losers who never even knew what slavery was trying o use it as a crutch so they can play the victim.

USA#1

What a sorry pathetic piece of garbage Lauren Hill is. Has to try and use the race card when she herself is one of the biggest racist pigs in the world. Feel bad for her parents who were working class Americans and African Americans all over our country that this sorry excuse for a human being has to make them look bad with her self entitled drivel. The next time you see a racist Lauren will be when you look into a mirror in your cell. Enjoy you dirty c*nt.

PJ in Texas

I paid almost 100K in taxes for 2012 so screw her and her racist mind

maya

She should of paied her taxes,
but everyone is getting jail time but the people who need it
amanda and lindsay
and by the looks of what i see on twitter amanda needs some serious help,