Lauryn Hill

3 Months In Prison

For Tax Evasion

5/6/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050613_laryn_hill_exit_launch
Lauryn Hill has been sentenced to spend 3 months in FEDERAL PRISON for tax evasion … even though she claims she paid off her nearly $1 million bill to Uncle Sam before sentencing.

A judge in Newark, New Jersey dished out the sentence moments ago ... and told Hill that after she completes her stint behind bars, she'll spend 3 more months on house arrest ... followed by 9 months of supervised release.

Before the hearing, Hill's attorney told the media the singer scraped together more than $970,000 to repay her debt to the government.

The 37-year-old former Fugee pled guilty last year to three counts of tax evasion for failing to file returns on $1.8 million she earned from 2005 to 2007. Lauryn's attorney asked for mercy because of her charity work and 6 kids ... but the judge wasn't buying it.

During the hearing, the judge ordered Hill to report to prison by July 8. It's unclear where Hill will serve her time.

Hill was present during the hearing, and delivered a statement to the judge in which she compared her situation to slavery.

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of. ... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

She continued, "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Juicey27

First! Finally, its about time this racist got what she deserves! Justice served bitch

Chris

She did better than Wesley Snipes.

doodoopapah

Stupid Bitch

MardiM2

"A child of former slaves"? She doesn't look 150 years old to me. Geez louise, what a stupid attempt at excusing her belief that she was too good to pay taxes, despite having earned almost $2M. Poor baby.

Coupe09

Sounds like irresponsibility not slavery.

RunnerGirl

"child of former slaves" f*ckn really? that's the only excuse you can come up with?

jjbythesea

What the hell is she talking about. Slavery my ass. Get your butt to jail. The only thing this female was a slave to was money.

shannon

The Fugees were great. Lauryn Hill is a maniac. She did not know the system? Please. She has been rich for most of her life.

NobodySpecial

THREE MONTHS ?

She will be in a rehab type facility, this is a joke.

oleman

lets play the race card....yea right, just pay your taxes!!!!

joecrabs

Really? The slavery card? Because you didn't know you had to pay taxes? Slavery was 400 years ago, and I kinda doubt you were one. Nice try, racist idiot!

shannon

She should be ashamed of herself, using her ancestors horrible history to excuse her spoiled rich brat behavior. Pay your taxes and do not drag your ancestors through the mud.

ThirtyMinuteZone

Girls you know you better - watch out! The gov, the gov is only - about! Taxing, taxing, taxiiiiing. Taxing, taxing, taxiiiing!

Weedy1dad

man I needed a good laugh today

ukta

Strange, tax evader Tim Geithner avoided jail time, even though as Sec of Treasury he had no excuse.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments