'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

Martha Krinn

Jeanne Cooper was the epitomy of class. No where in daytime TV will you find another with the poise and grace that this lady had. She was definitely one of a kind. Y&R is the only soap built so tightly around one main character with her chrisma and style. She will be deeply missed by her millions of fans. Thank you Ms. Cooper for your life time of entertaining all of us. Condolences to your family, both at home and at Y & R.

Barb in Ft Myers, FL

So, so sad. I feel like I have lost a member of my own family. Well, I've been watching Y&R for 40 years, I've gone through quite a lot with Katherine ...Wow. What a lady. She will be truly missed. PLEASE do not replace her....She and Victor and Nicki can never truly be replaced.
RIP Mrs C. Love and Sympathy to your family, co-stars, and all my fellow loyal Y&R watchers ... I'm sure we all share the same feelings of grief.

jennin

Such a terrible loss, a true Legend and Inspiration! Will be terribly missed. Prayers to her family.

Velma

Rest in Peace...my prayers are with your family. You will be missed by family, friends and fans.

Vanessa Logan

Love you Kay Chancellor. My condolences to the family. I have enjoyed her for over 40 years. Celebrate all your mom accomplishments and she has helped others

jennin

Such a terrible loss, a true LEGEND. Ms. Cooper will be missed by millions, prayers to her family.

Vanessa Logan

You will be missed Kay Chancellor. I have watched you for over 40 years. I loved the way you dressed and carried your self. Condolences to the family. Celebrate your mom's life. She has helped many people.

jetfanglo

wish u strength, Corbin...............

Kate

:( I've watched Catherine since I was 17 years old. I am now 50. RIP my television friend!

Dot

RIP The Y&R will never be the same. She will be missed! I loved her.

William

LORD HAVE MERCY! NOOOOOOO

mr.howell

Sad news,I heard she had been in the hospital and was not doing good when Corbin broke this news a few weeks ago..what a great lady and actress,she was in movies and on an old Twilight Zone! episode from the early 60's,RIP Jeanne...we'll miss you..sad day.

Kate

I've watched Catherine since I was 17.. I am now 50. RIP my television friend.. Peace to your family and friends.

Lynn

Y&R will surely miss Jeanne Cooper. She was such a great actress and the staple of the show. RIP!!! You will be missed

Ken Stalcup

Rest in Peace Jeanne. i've never watched The Young and the Restless but know you thru your son Corbin. Our thoughts are with your family today.